Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: German herb moonshine.

Question German herb moonshine.

The German word is kräuter. My family is of Swiss heritage and I remember there always being what my family simply called "kräuter". Essentially distilled spirits with a special blend of herbs. It only came out for special occasions. Usually when one of our Swiss relatives would visit.

One of my neighbors is an occasional moonshiner. Strictly small batch stuff, but high quality. His latest recipe is very reminiscent of the kräuter my Dad always had around, just missing the right herbs. I know there are some German/Swiss heritage woodworkers here. Would any of you have any idea what that blend of herbs is and/or where I could get some? Also, and my friend may already know, at what stage would these herbs be added? During distillation or after?

Moderators, hopefully this isn't too "Off Topic" a subject. If so I offer my apologies.

Half Swiss here, I remember my Grandpa and great uncle joking about that stuff, they were going to make a batch. I was pretty young, remember thinking why would you drink kraut (sour) juice, it smelled so terrible when Grandma was making it in the big crocks on the porch. Several years later we discovered Grandpa's still, and it all started to make more sense. No idea on the recipe, but thanks for promoting a trip down memory lane!

Kräuter-Likör

250g sugar
    100ml water
    800ml vodka
    Juice from one lemon
    Juice from one orange
    60g Lemon zest

60g each fresh herbs (finely chopped)
    Mint
    Basil
    Rosemary
    Sage
    Thyme
    Citronella (not for everyone)

In a sauce pan bring sugar and water to a boil and allow to darken slightly, remove from heat and cool a bit to warm but still workable. Pour chopped herbs in a large glass jar adding the slightly caramelized sugar. Add vodka, orange and lemon juice, close tightly and let stand for 6 weeks, shaking occasionally. Strain and decant into a clean bottle after 6 weeks.

Lots of other recipes out there too, just takes some trial runs to get the combinations of herbs adjusted. Probably need to adjust the rosemary as I think it is a bit dominant.

Blog Entries
    Maybe it is akin to this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_(liqueur)

There are too many ways of using herbs to flavor spirits that it would almost be impossible to guess what your ancestors may have concocted.

If you are lucky it may be a regional tradition with some online recipe.

This page doesn't have a recipe, but it indicates there is more knowledge to be found:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kräuterlikör

If it is for an after dinner drink, it would likely have fennel and lovage. This would result in a licorice and celery flavor. Lovage has been used for centuries to sooth the stomach.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Dissolve a Ricola cough drop in vodka?

Can also by the dry ingredients to make with your own white spirits (vodka, rum, etc). Process is the same as described above.
    https://www.amazon.de/Teegalerie-Ann.../dp/B00OYIPUJA

And then there's Malört. Search for the commercial (Jeppson's unaired). Maybe it's not your brand of humor, but I thought it was a riot. Even funnier to me since I have imbibed that particular spirit (we have cellphone video of that occasion--also hilarious).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Steve, my fond memories are of family gathered around a big table when Swiss relatives came from the "Old Country" for a visit. There were always many forms of distilled spirits. Often these spirits were added to coffee. Of course, being Swiss, the measurement of added spirits needed to be very precise. Exactly 2 teaspoons, no more, no less. The measure started by turning the spoon upside down

Interestingly, the spirits our relatives brought were almost always home brews. They claimed it was easier to get a distillers license in Switzerland at the time than it was to get a drivers license. I have no idea of the validity of that claim but it makes for a good story.

Jason that was both hilarious and disgusting!

Thank you guys for the comments and links. I'll be looking at those closer when time permits. I do remember a hint of licorice aroma and flavor but I know there were many more herbs involved. Peter your link to the Amazon.de herbs may be the ticket but my high school German said Auf Wiedersehen a long time ago. Is there a way to display that page in English. Otherwise I'll take it as a good translation exercise.

Thanks again!

There's a small button just below the magnifying lens on the search bar the reads "DE". Select "EN" for Amazon.de in English. The search term for the dry ingredient packages is "ansatzlikör".

Sometimes you can also find either Kuemmerling or Underberg in the US. Both come in small bottles so you'd want to buy a box of them.

Blog Entries
    I did a search for kräuterlikör and found this at this site:

Ingredients:

185 g Topfen
    1 Stk. Vanilleschote ausgekratzt
    0.75 Stk. Zitrone Fruchtsaft
    375 g Sahne
    3 Stk. Eiweiß
    90 g Zucker
    Für das Beeren-Kräuterlikör-Ragout
    700 g TK-Beerenmischung
    375 g Beerenmischung frisch
    300 g Zucker
    Weißwein
    Kräuterlikör
    Für die Garnitur gegebenenfalls:
    5 Stk. Minzblätter
    5 Stk. Schokotropfen
    See original recipe at vox.de
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, that's a recipe for a desert made with kräuterlikör. Topfen (quark) and Sahne (cream) are dairy products.

Might be good though!

Thanks Peter, I'll be checking that out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Lee, that's a recipe for a desert made with kräuterlikör. Topfen (quark) and Sahne (cream) are dairy products.

Might be good though!
    It looked sort of strange because it looked like butter was an ingredient. 5 Stk. Minzblätter
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute