Thread: Pairing exotic lumber

Pairing exotic lumber

There are numerous posts on pairing exotic lumber. I've developed a spreadsheet shows that shows lumber species I have and a few that I intend to buy. Here's a copy of the contents. Maybe what I've done so far will be helpful to members. However, I'd be glad to have comments regarding species I haven't tried to pair yet. I'd be glad to have any comments you might like to offer based on your experience. I can send you a copy of the actual spreadsheet if you'd like to have it. Thanks

Paired Wood
    Main Wood Alt. Name/Comment Price Blend Contrast
    African Mahogany Cherry,maple
    Alder
    Birch Lace/leopard
    Bloodwood Will turn brown High Wenge Maple
    Bubinga High Mahogany Wenge
    Butternut Low Walnut
    Canarywood High Cherry
    Chechen Black poisonwood, Caribean Rosewood High
    Cherry Med Mahogany Maple
    Holly High
    Lacewood Leopardwood High Birch,Maple
    Leopardwood Lacewood High Birch,Maple
    Maple-red dyed Low
    Maple-Tiger Low Cherry,Walnut
    Oak, white Low Walnut
    Olivewood Olive High Wenge
    Osage orange Horse apple
    Purpleheart Amaranth Med Maple
    Rosewood-Bolivian V. High Cherry
    Sapele Low
    English Sycamore High
    Tulipwood Low
    Walnut High Maple
    Wenge Maple
    Zebrawood High
    Last edited by Richard Gnospelius; 11-17-2018 at 8:26 AM. Reason: Trying to attach spreadsheet

Richard, Welcome to the Creek. Glad you found us...and made an interesting first post. I like the idea of hearing what kind of wood pairings folks think will work and hope you get some suggestions. I had good results pairing wenge and bloodwood on a box project done some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gnospelius View Post
    There are numerous posts on pairing exotic lumber. I've developed a spreadsheet shows that shows lumber species I have and a few that I intend to buy. Here's a copy of the contents. Maybe what I've done so far will be helpful to members. However, I'd be glad to have comments regarding species I haven't tried to pair yet. I'd be glad to have any comments you might like to offer based on your experience. I can send you a copy of the actual spreadsheet if you'd like to have it. ...
    Nice idea! I'd also like to hear what others think.

The things made from these woods may make a difference - is it furniture for a house, art for an executive office, a boat, toy, cheese platter? I primarily do woodturning often make turnings with more than one wood. For me, the match depends on more than just the species. For example, I I have some Dogwood that has a pinkish cast - to my eye it goes well with Bloodwood, as does Tulipwood. Not so much with Osage Orange!

Due to the lighting the photography might not show the effect as well as with the eye:
    Ornaments_PC244180es.jpg Ornaments_PC244176es.jpg
    bells_PC244161es.jpg

I think Cocobolo goes well with Holly, Dogwood, and Ebony (depending somewhat on the color of the Cocobolo.)

BTW, it may be a due to a different variety or just different trees, but for me Bloodwood doesn't tend to turn brown, even after years. In my experience some woods, such as Padauk, Osage Orange, and Purpleheart can be horrible. But even with Purpleheart, some are different - I have a (carefully guarded!) supply of Purpleheart said to be from Mexico that unlike most is purple when cut and stays purple.

If you haven't seen it, this article on the Wood Database discusses color changes and has a useful list: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...-exotic-woods/

I like to use Ebony and African Blackwood for finials on things - as with fashions sometimes basic black goes with everything! I often put earth tones together, such as walnut with cherry, or as in your list, maple.

acorn_ornament.jpg Music_box_nonis_IMG_2390.jpg
    BOC_E_IMG_7162.jpg

I have so many species at hand (last time I did a count it was at least 125!) I usually just pick a wood then look through bins and shelves for something I think might look nice with it, armed with a pocket knife to expose the color if needed. An expended list like yours might be a great starting place, especially for those who are indecisive. And maybe branch out - I think some colors of wood look great with brass and some not so much.

The environment and intended use might also suggest colors, should the piece be subdued and blend in or contrast. Something made to be handled a lot or put up as artwork in a room with color on the walls? Is it something for seasonal use, say Fall, Halloween, or Christmas?

Another thing I suspect we all need to keep in mind, color selection is both personal and an art form. What looks great to one can look bad to another!

JKJ

Thanks, Ted for the nice welcome. That pairing sounds attractive. I’ll give it a try. One thing I just learned is that my nice bloody wood is destined to turn brown. Bummer.

John, that is a really great response. Thanks very much. Dick

Copy of spreadsheet now attached

Here's the current version of the spreadsheet:
    Attached Files Attached Files