Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay package not delived but USPS says it was.

Ebay package not delived but USPS says it was.

Bought a drill on ebay. It was mailed in a flat rate envelope(doubtfull).
    USPS says it was delivered yesterday at 4:38 PM. We were home never saw any package with the mail which we picked up within a minute of the postman being on our porch.
    Is there any recourse? I filed a return claim with ebay, I will see what they will say.
    Bill D.

Maybe email and if that doesn't do it call the postal service. I live in Canada so a touch different but it seems that North American delivery services are all a little off every now and then, more than some other places. I have had a particular delivery service drop my packages off to the neighbours. For months. The most ridiculous part was the service takes a picture of the package label in frame with the house number as proof of delivery. The numbers weren't remotely the same and yet somehow the driver staring right at it just didn't notice or care nor did the service until someone who cared answered one of my calls. I have had USPS ship Ebay things from the States to me and the tracking says arrived but it didn't until a couple days later. This happened to my mitre saw a few months ago.

Sorry I haven't been much help. Can only share the frustration.

Best of luck,

Vincent

Blog Entries
    Message the seller and let them know it shows delivered but you did not receive it. The first step with eBay is to try to work it out with the customer. Also eBay will look at your communication history if you have to go to the next level. I would choose my words carefully because I'm sure the seller is going to be suspicious. I would ask if they can send a description of packaging so you can check with the local PO.

Sadly, you are kind of stuck because of the proof of delivery by the post office- most likely eBay will take the seller's side due to that unfortunate situation. I would also go to your local PO and start the process with them. It is possible that they scanned it and somehow left it on the van, and maybe it will show up later. As for the flat rate envelope, it was probably a padded pack. I've had drills shipped to me that way. It is not a very smart way to do it, as it makes it obvious what is in the package, and not the most protective packaging either. It's not likely, but possible the driver stole it and scanned it delivered. I say not likely because the driver would know you're going to file a claim, and he had the last posession of it. It would be easy for a driver to do one time, but twice or more and they show a pattern. I worked in the industry- we would say someone can get away with it once, but never twice.

I have seen packages scanned by mistake with the wrong scan and show delivered but not actually delivered and later on they did show up. I hope this is the case for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    USPS says it was delivered yesterday at 4:38 PM. We were home never saw any package with the mail which we picked up within a minute of the postman being on our porch.
    Is there any recourse? I filed a return claim with ebay, I will see what they will say.
    Bill D.
    On occasion, things show up a day or two after USPS shows delivery made. Why did you file for a return instead of filing item not received? A return suggests you want to return something you received. Also, it is good etiquette to contact the seller before opening a claim to allow them to work things out without being limited to the timeline and options within a claim.

The buyer protection is VERY strong with eBay so likely you will be covered. The one that will likely be out in the end is the seller.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

We are on a rural route with contract mail carriers. They are the pits. Mail constantly put in the wrong boxes. Mail boxes not reclosed after not deposting the mail, packages left laying under the mail box out along the street, etc. We got a locking mail box with a chute for the mail to be dropped in. That still did not stop the crap, so we got a PO box in the nearest town, for "important mail". Even at the PO we get other folks mail at least once per week. And, the PO closes an hour and a half for lunch 5 days per week. Oh yeah the other unbelievably strange thing. I live on a farm. The farm to the south is in another zip code and town, the farm immediately to my north, is an yet another zip code and town. But my mail box and the two houses on either side have a zip code and town address for a PO that is several miles further away. They send a mail carrier from that PO to our street for five residences, and the other 50 or 60 residences on the street, get their mail from 2 closer towns. Zip code zone maps here look like the worst political gerimandering imaginable.

Bill D.
    One of the BIG problems with USPS tracking is that it sometimes shows delivered when it was SUPPOSED to be delivered. Sadly, the sender has proof of delivery!
    Most of the time it will be delivered later, usually the next day or occasionally by a second person from USPS that runs around delivering the problems.
    We once received one 10+ weeks later that was a cube box basically in the shape of a ball. Very rare.

I receive an average of 3 USPS packages a day and ship an average of 3 per day. I've learned to not use USPS for anything that is valuable as it is is a gamble, even if it is a small gamble.

I get emails when packages are delivered. Once I got an email, but no package. I contacted the PO and filed a complaint. Then I went down the street and found it 4 doors down.

Interesting thing is that the PO never got back to me.

I've stopped selling on Ebay because they side with the buyer under ALL circumstances; and I don't care for paying postage to give stuff away for free.
    I expect they will side with you despite the proof of delivery, but don't really know.
    Please let us know what happens.

Well as it turns out today is one of the days the USPS show packages delivered "handed directly to receptionist". They didn't drive within 100 feet of where they could walk in the business and there is no mail in the locked mailbox where they did drive. We were open for hours past the time they show "delivered". We will see if they actually show up Monday.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-18-2018 at 8:53 AM. Reason: removed objectionable content

It wasn't USPS but FedEx that we used to have a problem with. 100% of the time, when a package came from FedEx, it would get delivered to the wrong house. It wasn't the same number, it wasn't the same street, it wasn't even close, but it would consistently get delivered to the wrong place... the SAME wrong place, every single time. It didn't matter how many times we complained, it still went there. They just called us and we'd pick it up every time it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Well as it turns out today is one of the days the USPS show packages delivered "handed directly to receptionist". They didn't drive within 100 feet of where they could walk in the business and there is no mail in the locked mailbox where they did drive. We were open for hours past the time they show "delivered". We will see if they actually show up Monday.
    I find calls to the local postmaster can help. Without feedback they can do nothing.

JKJ
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-18-2018 at 8:54 AM.

Is it possible that you may have confused "shipped" vs. "delivered"?

I filed the return claim because I could find no way to state not received. It is now two days after it was supposed to have been dropped off.
    Bill D.

I filed the return claim because I could find no way to state not received. It is now two days after it was supposed to have been dropped off.
    Bill D.
    Go to the "My eBay" drop down menu at the top right of most any eBay page. When you mouse over it and it drops down click on "Purchase History". YOu will then see a listing box for each item you have purchased in the last 60 days. Find the item and look at the right side of the box, you will see a drop down menu titled "more actions" click on that and then "I didn't receive it" on the drop down menu. IF it is past the estimated arrival window you SHOULD be able to open a case. In any event the first thing eBay will suggest you do is get in touch with the seller. The seller may simply replace it without eBay intervention. If you can work it out with the seller it is always better than taking a chance with a case. If you don't give the seller the courtesy of making things right then they will likely do what they can to prevail in the case because without the contact they will likely be VERY skeptical of your claim since this doesn't happen every day. This is really a case of a potential bird in the hand vs a single bird in the bush.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Periodically our mail carrier delivers mail to the wrong address. Check with the neighbors on each side of you to see if they received your package. I would also ask the mail carrier.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

When I have this happen ( often), the package will usually show up 2 or 3 days later. Thats how long for the package to get picked up and rerouted.