Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best 14" Band Saw Under $1000

I am in Austin and regularly look at Craigslist in San Antonio and other areas. Most of the older model Rockwell or Delta saws appear to be deals until you see they have been sitting in barns for years and are covered in rust, dirt and grim. Van Huskey is right most others are Craftsman and Central Machinery. Finer woodworking is just not popular here for a variety of reasons therefore the supply is limited. Old Arn is virtually non-existent because when that stuff was made this was area populated with farmers and ranchers with no need for heavy duty equipment.

I have been burned for $200 on a sliding Makita saw once so I am leary of larger power tools in the used market unless they are fairly new. Repairing other's peoples abused tools is not my forte.

The Laguna 14/12 and Rikon 10-326 are the short list. While few people have first hand experience with both it sound like I can't go wrong with either one. Thanks for all your advice, your comments are worth more than anything I could read online.

If you are even remotely interested in used saws and willing to make the drive to Houston (you could visit a Rockler since you only have WC) expand your search. I have bought at least a dozen bandsaws out of the Houston area, I just wish your budget was bigger because the two saws I mentioned earlier are great deals. Also if you are willing to make the day trip and decide on the 10-326 give Circle Saw a call in Houston, they usually have inventory on site and may have some of the pre-tariff saws in stock which even with tax might work out to be a good deal but probably break even with gas, though you would avoid the shipping stress. That also assumes you have a truck or SUV big enough to transport it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I’d hold out till I had at least 2-3 k to spend.

I started with 14/12 and it is since long gone.

I know others have been happy with that machine, I was not.

Couldn’t get it out of my shop soon enough. Replaced it with a s500p and a Inca 3 wheel. I’ll get rid of the Inca for a mm 16, smaller old Oliver or even a old delta just for scroll work.

SMC where grown men gather to have their budgets torn asunder like the arm of Grendel at the hands of Beowulf.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I was just trying to clarify for the OP what you were possibly talking about. If you look at your two posts you never mentioned CL at all, I put it together because I had seen that saw listed in my routine CL bandsaw searches. I further clarified which saw it was by model number which the CL ad doesn't mention and that it is likely 3/4hp and is sans riser since the OP may want to know that before making a pilgrimage to see it when the saws he is looking at have significantly more hp and capacity. I was just trying to be helpful by taking some of the mystery out of your indeed potentially helpful posts.
    The first post I mentioned Craigslist..... I went back to it and checked. But.....whatever....

I saw the $921 price at Circle Saw for the Rikon 326 and Woodcraft has it for $989. Woodcraft may be the best deal while it is on sale till the 21st. I can pick it up at the store and not worry about shipping damage. Highland Woodworking has a cheaper base price but wants $235 for shipping.

It is not so much a matter of saving for a better saw but as a hobbyist I don't think I need anything better than what the 1412 or 326 can provide. If the time comes when I my skills and project needs outgrow what the saw can provide I can upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    The first post I mentioned Craigslist..... I went back to it and checked. But.....whatever....
    Mea Culpa! My point was you didn't really direct him anywhere it literally sounded like a generic statement of what might be found on CL. Also just so you can help someone directly in the future only live CL links are prohibited, you can post the text for the link so someone can copy and paste just not set it up as a live link. With eBay listings, you can post the auction number so they can access it themselves.

sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/d/rockwell-bandsaw/6733647428.html for example

and while I am at it the OP can look at this one, it has been sitting a while. It is an older Stomana (not the current ACM Italian built saw) but it is a good saw and you might be able to get it for under $1k, it would require 240v though.

austin.craigslist.org/tls/d/laguna-16-resaw-bandsaw/6721496079.html

I meant absolutely no offense, I just wanted to make sure the OP actually got to see what you were suggesting.

It is not everyday I read a comment referring to a 1000 year old epic in Old English on a woodworking forum.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    It is not everyday I read a comment referring to a 1000 year old epic in Old English on a woodworking forum.
    My wife says I got my degrees in the obtuse and the arcane with a practicum in circuitous logic.

But seriously, who doesn't pop open the Nowell Codex for some light reading prior to slumber?

SMC where grown men gather to have their budgets torn asunder like the arm of Grendel at the hands of Beowulf.
    I like that so much I may use it as a sig! Giving due credit of course!
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    It is not so much a matter of saving for a better saw but as a hobbyist I don't think I need anything better than what the 1412 or 326 can provide. If the time comes when I my skills and project needs outgrow what the saw can provide I can upgrade.
    +1 Some of my best pieces were made on equipment that was less than ideal, and thos are both great saws and can do a lot. Fact is, some band saw is better than none band saw. I for one really appreciate someone who respects the concept of a BUDGET. Ya you may some day wish for a larger more capable machine. Here is my experience:

I have a small Jet 14" bandsaw. (which go for about $300 around here on CL) I use the heck out of it.

Some years later I purchased a larger (Laguna LT18) off craigslist. Turns out I use that a lot also (resawing and ripping larger pieces). AND I still use the heck out of the 14" saw (and in some ways I would say itsa crappy little saw, but I still use the heck out of it). And as an 'upgrade', I have been considering a SMALLER saw to replace the 14" (am coveting the space and think a smaller benchtop unit could free up a little space for storage or something else)

A long time ago I worked in a machine shop. It was a place we rented from a University, and all the equipment was very old and flat worn out (junk even... much of it). There was a former Navy old timer there. He worked on a lathe that should have been scrapped years ago, everything about it was worn out. He made high quality precision parts on it (to this day I dont know how, I would not have been able to produce squat with it). In other words, he had developed skill.

Buy a saw, any saw (you have great choices with that budget). Make lots of stuff. Make some more stuff. Then decide if you want a different saw.

I own the Rikon 10-325 Deluxe (which I believe is now the 10-326). I use it to resaw and for straight ripping and cross-cuts sometimes, as well as occasional curve cutting for bowl blanks. I love it and, with the newer tool less guides that it comes with now, it's a great saw. It has enough power for resawing and whatever else I use if for. If you're not in a hurry, wait for sales. I saw it is on sale at Woodcraft right now for $990 (10-326 Deluxe). I saw recently they also offer a 3HP 14" Pro version of this saw with a 3HP motor instead of the 1 1/2 HP of the Deluxe but, I think that is overkill unless you do a lot of heavy duty resawing. Plus the Pro is $600 more.

I'm surprised at the regional variation in CL.I just counted and there are eight Delta 14" and two Jet 14" saws on ours (Boston) at prices from $300 to $850, all looked at least halfway decent based on the pictures. There's a 20" powermatic for $1350 that I'm thinking about calling. Plus there are myriad Craftsman and various more recent China-made saws.

I have the 10-326. No complaints, it's a solid tool. Resawing 10" hardwood is no problem. Don't know about wider than that because I haven't encountered it. If you're regularly resawing wider, you should probably be looking at larger saws.

The 5/8" blade that comes with it is junk, but that seems to be par for the course.