Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best 14" Band Saw Under $1000

I second anything Van says about bandsaws.

It's not 14" but you might also consider the Grizzly G0513ANV. I have 0513's at home and work (one right next to a Rikon 10-325). Both are good saws, but 3" more throat is nice and the 17" wheels gives more blade versatility. I have a .025" x 1/2" TriMaster on my 0513 at home and it's a great combo. The difference in footprint is negligible, mobile base is easy to retrofit. Too bad the resaw fence isn't part of the package.

$1010 to your door, maybe less pre-holidays?
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

You can find a nice Rockwell for $500 on Craigslist.

4. What does the powermatic cost these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I just got a catalog from Highland Woodworking yesterday. The Rikon 10-326 is on the front cover for $899.99.
    Yep, they have a few of the pre-tariff ones left around, the only issue with Highland and machines is the shipping and any pre-tariff ones come from the dealer (Atlanta in this case) not drop shipped so they have the ship twice to get to you. You have to call Highland to find out the shipping. Another dealer that may have actual stock of pre-tariff Rikons is Circle Saw in Houston, their freight is usually lower than Highland.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    He already said there isn't any used machinery in his area. Same here, I couldn't get a used anything on Craigslist unless it originally got sold at Harbor Freight.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    What does the powermatic cost these days?
    The Powermatic cast iron 14" saw is over-priced these days and not a match for the saws in question. BTW it is $1300 when not on sale. Now the new Jet 14SFX is $999 with shipping included (residential liftgate is included on all Powermatic and Jet machines). I forget about the Jet since it is fairly new and I haven't used one only played with it in the showroom. It is very similar to the Rikon and Laguna with a slightly larger table and slightly higher blade speed. If it goes on sale Black Friday for 10 or 15% off it would be the bargain of the bunch when shipping is included.

Back to PM, the only PMs I like in the current lineup are the 15, 18, 20 and 24" saws, they are excellent but all over-priced. They took a REALLY good shot at the Italian bandsaws but the 15" is $3K which is getting far too close to the MM 16/Formula 400 which is arguably the bar setter for medium sized saws for a hobby shop.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

If you are talking about the 14" cast saw then these saws are actually a step above. Now if one can find a Delta/Rockwell 28-350 20" saw for $500 in good shape that is a different story but the best deal I have gotten on one of those is $650 and it was a steal for a fully intact RTR saw. I have seen them go a little cheaper at auction but I didn't see them in person.

OP is near San antonio.

If there is nothing suitable today, I guarantee will be in a few days.

Unclear if OP is not looking at used Old Arn...

due to ready today availability ? .... or not understanding that an Old Arn "used" for $500 is a better machine than any new for $1k ?

Just my opinion.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    OP is near San antonio.

If there is nothing suitable today, I guarantee will be in a few days.

Unclear if OP is not looking at used Old Arn...

due to ready today availability ? .... or not understanding that an Old Arn "used" for $500 is a better machine than any new for $1k ?

Just my opinion.

Marc
    I usually search bandsaws within 500-1000 miles of me almost every day. The San Antonio/Austin area has been dry of good deals for a while, the small saws seem to be over-priced which I assume is due to the Austin Hipster Maker scene. Dallas and Houston seem to be much better and I have gotten many of my best bandsaw deals in and around Houston.

The best deals I have seen lately in TX is a nice looking Oliver 217 (30") for $1750 half way up 45 between Hou and Dallas and a Laguna LT16HD in the Conroe area for around $1900. If I had the time I would have already gotten the Oliver, it is a screaming deal. As I type this I know I am going to regret not chasing it down.

The sub $1000 stuff I keep seeing in his area are 1hp Delta and Rockwell saws in the $500 range, along with the daily dose of 12" Craftsman saws and no-name/Central Machinery 14" cast saws all of which tend to be over-priced. IMO and pure spec wise the 14" cast Delta and clones simply aren't as much saw as what the OP is looking at. Unless you find an oddball crazy deal I see the sub-1K used arena as the PM141 (rare to come up and often over-priced but they sell in populated areas), the Walker Turner saws which are also rare and the Delta/Rockwell/Milwaukee 28-350 20" saw. The latter is what I consider the gem in the price range but maybe 1 in three is price under 1K and three quarters of the ones that are need some serious love and almost never come with a fence. I have never got one up and running to my standards for under 1K. In the end I simply don't have the love for the 14" Delta and clones that is almost universal. They are fine as a small blade saw and you can pimp them like no other saw but I would MUCH rather have a PM 140/141/143 but then most people selling them feel the same way.

At Highland Hardware in Atlanta today and saw the Rikon for $898. Very tempting at that price.

1 hour and 18 minutes away, if I'm correct. It's worth a look!

1 hour and 18 minutes away, if I'm correct. It's worth a look!
    Did you mean to post a link to the Rockwell 28-200 that is on the SA CL? While I agree it appears to be in good shape it likely has the original 3/4hp motor and doesn't have a riser block. IMO that is a $350 saw max.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Did you mean to post a link to the Rockwell 28-200 that is on the SA CL? While I agree it appears to be in good shape it likely has the original 3/4hp motor and doesn't have a riser block. IMO that is a $350 saw max.
    I search bandsaw in the Austin area Craigslist. I'm not posting the link because this forum doesn't allow it. While the saw is listed in ad is for $500, there is a possibility to negotiate. This is a good bandsaw. I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But still a good bandsaw! Just trying to be helpful, that is all.

I search bandsaw in the Austin area Craigslist. I'm not posting the link because this forum doesn't allow it. While the saw is listed in ad is for $500, there is a possibility to negotiate. This is a good bandsaw. I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But still a good bandsaw! Just trying to be helpful, that is all.
    I was just trying to clarify for the OP what you were possibly talking about. If you look at your two posts you never mentioned CL at all, I put it together because I had seen that saw listed in my routine CL bandsaw searches. I further clarified which saw it was by model number which the CL ad doesn't mention and that it is likely 3/4hp and is sans riser since the OP may want to know that before making a pilgrimage to see it when the saws he is looking at have significantly more hp and capacity. I was just trying to be helpful by taking some of the mystery out of your indeed potentially helpful posts.