Thread: Track Saw(s) Question

Track Saw(s) Question

For track saw system owners - do you see any need for a second saw?

(I was thinking of dedicating one for x-cuts and another for ripping (different blades). But now thinking the blade to guide rib distance would be slightly off and mess up the rubber edge feature on the rail.)

Thanks,

Mike

Blog Entries
    Just get a 28t combination blade. They work well for ripping and crosscuts

No. I use my Dewalt as it came for both.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

For most tasks - the standard Festool combination blades do a respectable job of ripping and crosscutting - as well as cutting plywood.
    While I'm impressed by the rather high quality of the blade on my cordless Makita,,,it can't hold a candle to the Festool blade as far as quality & quality of cut.

FWIW - I bought both a rip blade (and a crosscut blade for my Festool TS55EQ - both blades are Oshlun. That was three or four years ago & I have yet to use either.

The idea of two saws might make sense - depending on the hardness of the wood being ripped.

I've only used my cordless Makita to rip some 12 foot lengths of 5/4 red oak to get a straight edge. It worked fine. A burn mark here and there, but, no biggie.

Anyhow - I believe I'd spring for a different set of tracks instead of a second saw. Quite a bit cheaper that way.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-29-2018 at 1:51 PM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

It's not been a factor for me, but my primary use for my track saw is for sheet goods. I rarely cut solid stock with it outside of some wide white pine flooring material cut "in the house literally) when fitting it to a room.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't have a desire for a second track saw. I have a rip blade but have not used it yet on my DeWalt. I have used a 48 tooth Oshlun but usually use one of my 48 tooth DeWalt blades. I have used it successfully to rip up to 5/4 oak but got the rip blade due to an issue with thicker material. But those cuts are rare for me and changing the blade not that difficult, even on my DeWalt.

With my small shop, I feel like the track saw is very nice to have but I use it a lot less than the table saw and I think one is enough.

Blog Entries
    I straight line just about all the lumber that comes through my shop with mine, the 28t works well enough to glue up right off the saw in 8/4 Stock. I rarely swap the blade out for plywood or cross cuts. The only time I make sure to swap is for mdf.

I bought separate blades for crosscuts, ripping and plywood. The all-round blade works good for some applications but the right blade for the job works best. Changing the blade (for me anyway) is easy so I could never justify buying a second saw. I'd rather throw that money at something I don't already own.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Havent needed two for that reason yet. Changing the blade on the Festool track saws is easy enough. Now I HAVE thought a few times about adding the cordless version of the Festool track saw to my line up, but only because I dont own a d truck and was thinking of using it to break down sheet goods in the parking lot of the lumber store. Other than that, nope, never felt the need for two or even to use anything other than the combo blade that the saw comes with. Though I do have other blades for it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Now I HAVE thought a few times about adding the cordless version of the Festool track saw to my line up, but only because I dont own a d truck and was thinking of using it to break down sheet goods in the parking lot of the lumber store.
    I bought a cordless Makita for that very reason. I enjoy using it so much, my Festool has stayed in it's Systainer ever since.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon