Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best 14" Band Saw Under $1000

I struggled to initially get the drift out of the blade, I bought the Carter Products MagFence and started to use that to counter the drift and then slowly used that to adjust the blade drift, it was a good reference point

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Ha?

Every time I tried to run that blade and resaw hard maple say 8-10” tall the blade would drift like crazy get mid cut start smoking and all but stop.

I’d say it musta been me but I know how to setup and bandsaw. It’s not rocket science.

Quite a few people seem to do fine with the 3/4" resaw king, it gets sold with a lot of 14/12s since WC and Rockler both stock it in the 14/12 length in the stores. I made a couple of cuts with that combo at my local dealer, maxed on on tension it cut OK in ~10" red oak, the finish wasn't as good as it should have been with more tension but it was better than a blade with set teeth, about the same as the Woodslicer/Blade Runner/Kerfmaster. It is possible you had one with a poor grind. Because the RK is ground twice on two different continents there is a much higher chance of an error and there have been bad rolls of RK shipped out on more than one occasions.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I'm also a marginal hobbyist. I have the Grizzly G0555LX and I'm very happy with it. I added the resaw fence and will be adding the riser kit if the need arises. Although I have never owned one, I've heard good things about the Rikon band saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Gonzalez View Post
    I'm also a marginal hobbyist. I have the Grizzly G0555LX and I'm very happy with it. I added the resaw fence and will be adding the riser kit if the need arises. Although I have never owned one, I've heard good things about the Rikon band saws.
    In fairness by the time you get a 555 add the resaw fence and riser block kit and pay shipping you are basically at the price of the cost of a pre-tariff Rikon and these steel framed saws are significantly more saw.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    Art, I didn't realize the 14/12 was $1099 retail which makes it the same list price as the Rikon 10-326. I can wait for a sale and don't mind buying online and out of state to save on the 8.25% sales tax. I am just really apprehensive of spending that much.
    Ohhhh...the uses of a good band saw. Once it is up and running, you will kick yourself for not buying it sooner. I have 3 band saws, and two of them are sued all of the time. third one is under restoration.

You will be very, very happy once you get it home and dialed in. I would brown bag lunch it for a month if it made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    It is not so much a matter of saving for a better saw but as a hobbyist I don't think I need anything better than what the 1412 or 326 can provide. If the time comes when I my skills and project needs outgrow what the saw can provide I can upgrade.
    Or have more than one saw. The 14/12 is a perfectly adequate saw, as is the Rikon.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    I second the Laguna 1412. It is on sale for Black Friday at 10% off. That puts it under $1000
    It is one heck of a saw.

I found a used, but not abused, MiniMax S45 18" for $500 on CL and snapped it up. Had it a couple of years now and love it. Know its not a really high end saw but works nicely for me. Sold my old Delta 14" that I had fully rehabbed. Randy

I bought a Bridgewood 440 (Made in Italy) about 6-7 years ago on CL, really happy moving up from the Delta 14. Only annoying feature is that the starter buzzes so I need to un-plug when not operating.

Not sure if you have a local Rockler or Woodcraft but if you do, call and see if they have any in stock... I picked up my 14|12 from Rockler for 10% off during the sale last year and didn't have to pay any freight charges...

*edit*

It is worth noting that the 14|12 does NOT come with a blade... So factor that into your purchase...

If you're able to move larger equipment to its final spot, think basement here, this seems like a LOT of bang for the buck:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ition/G0513ANV
    $895 + shipping

You may not start having visions of larger band saws like you might with the less expensive 14" saws. I don't know that I've ever seen a complaint on the forums about the G0513 saws except maybe shipping damage. I have a Rikon 10-325 and it's done everything I've asked of it but if I would have been confident in being able to get a G0513 into my basement ........

The 513ANV will run most people about $1050 shipped but it is lacking compared to the Laguna and Rikon being discussed in the thread. While it has 1/4hp more and has the 3 extra inches of throat depth that's about as far as the advantages go. The Rikon and Laguna have a bigger table, cast iron wheels, much better toolless guides, and a much nicer fence. Despite the low price, I consider the 513ANV to be the poorest value in the entire 513/514 range. The 513X2 includes a nice resaw fence, has cast iron wheels, a bigger table and has better guides though not toolless. It is a more comparably equipped 17" to the 14" Laguna and Rikon but it will run about $1,300 shipped. The only reason I would get the 513ANV over the 14/12 or 10-326 is if I absolutely needed the extra throat depth.

If you can swing the extra $300, I'm in the 17" 513X2 camp as well. It's an incredible value. I had one for a number of years and was very happy with it. On the other hand, I bought a 555 for my school shop when I needed another saw quickly. Never had a bit of trouble with it; it seems like a nice generic version of the classic Delta 14" saw.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 12-07-2018 at 10:09 PM.

The Rikon 10-326, Laguna 1412, Jet 14sfx, and grizzly G0513x2 are all within about $50 of each other. I was pretty set on the Grizzly (primary use is for cutting large bowl blanks for turning) but several people I've talked to have questioned the quality of grizzly compared to other brands. Of these models, which is considered best bang for the buck, or are they all similar in quality/performance?

Thanks for any advice - I'm fairly new to woodworking and have only rarely used a cheap used bandsaw.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    The Rikon 10-326, Laguna 1412, Jet 14sfx, and grizzly G0513x2 are all within about $50 of each other. I

Tom
    Do you mean the G0513X2 or the G0513/513ANV?