Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 14" Band Saw Under $1000

Best 14" Band Saw Under $1000

My wife, who absolutely hates gift buying for me, said it is cool if I buy a band saw for Christmas. To her credit she never says no, rarely asks what it costs but I still like getting her approval for bigger purchases. She did ask if it would expand my ability to create projects and that was enough for her to be on board. I am a lucky man.

So your opinions and on the best 14" band saw under $1000 ($800 ideally) would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to break the upper price limit and I am not really interested in shopping used. Where I live the used market for a quality machines is very limited although I just missed getting a two year old Powermatic PWBS-14CS yesterday on craigslist. For $850 I knew it would go to the first buyer.

I do like the Rikon 10-326 but it is 100 dollars over my self imposed limit and the 10-324 seems like a nice compromise. I can upgrade the guides to a Carter set down the road if I really feel the need. Compared to most people on this forum I am a marginal hobbyist woodworker and my greatest limitation will probably always be my skill set and not the machine. Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving.

Blog Entries
    I’m in almost the same position as you. $1k budget and no used market where I live. The conclusion I’ve come to after my ongoing internet research is the same as you, the 10-324. First bandsaw for me, so I can’t be much more help.

People who who know more are sure to ask you what you be using for the most, Resawing or curves. Maybe you don’t know if you never had one, but this sort of information will help you get better advice.

Thanks Zac. This will replace a little benchtop band saw that I bought to help trim out waste before routing with a pattern bit. I will keep it for the near future but hope to use the 14" for that task as well as re-sawing. I am not sure which it will be used for more since I have never had the ability to re-saw anything wider than what could be done on a table saw.

I just replaced my old old 12" Craftsman with a new Rikon 14" 10-326. It is an excellent saw - no tools required for adjustments - steel wheels - cabinet base. Great saw. The only problem is that it is slightly above your $1000 limit. I think I paid $1100 plus tax (purchased it locally) for it, plus another $89 for the mobility kit. In my mind, this saw is well worth it.

Your options increase significantly if you add waiting for a sale price in your strategy. I bought my Laguna 14/12 for less than $1000, not including tax, and I expect you could get a nicer Rikon using the same strategy.

Blog Entries
    I have 14" Jet that is about 12 years old. I have the extension that allows long blade. It is an excellent saw.

Art, I didn't realize the 14/12 was $1099 retail which makes it the same list price as the Rikon 10-326. I can wait for a sale and don't mind buying online and out of state to save on the 8.25% sales tax. I am just really apprehensive of spending that much.

I think Laguna is having a 10% off sale over black Friday. Acme tool is a good place to buy from for free shipping.

I would suggest the 10-326 or 14/12 over anything else you can buy under $1k. Unfortunately, up until very recently, the 10-326 was usually available for around $900 but the tariffs finally forced Rikon to significantly increase the price. Woodcraft has them on sale now for 10% off. With the recent price increase on Rikon, I would wait until Laguna is 10% off and get the 14/12. You can get it from Woodwerks in Ohio and not be charged tax but the $75 shipping makes it just as cheap (more or less) to buy it in Austin and it will be a national sale so Woodcraft will have the 10% off too.

The 10-324 isn't a bad saw but you get so much more with the 10-326 and 14/12.

Edit Acme was mentioned but they add on the same $75 for "special handling" even though they give "free shipping". Equipment Sales and Surplus up in Washington has totally free shipping (no hidden fees) but usually doesn't list the 10% off sales but when the sales start you might call them and see if they will price match, they are usually easy to work with. They carry Laguna but not Rikon.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 11-17-2018 at 1:46 AM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I bought a SuperMax drum sander from Acme this spring and didn't pay any extra charges.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I bought a SuperMax drum sander from Acme this spring and didn't pay any extra charges.
    Zach
    While most things (over $49) have no extra charges the 14/12 does have a $75 special handling charge. From their site: Special Handling Charge of $75.00
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I just got a catalog from Highland Woodworking yesterday. The Rikon 10-326 is on the front cover for $899.99.

I second the Laguna 1412. It is on sale for Black Friday at 10% off. That puts it under $1000

3rd on the 1412. In the year I've had it I've used it to resaw a boatload of 3 x 8 oak and hickory and walnut and maple without any problems at all. Love the ceramic guides
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I don’t own either of those saws but I have been looking at both of them. There’s a lot of god YouTube videos on both.