Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which of these for turning?

Koa is an Acacia, and related to many woods around the world. Unlikely that it's grown in Az, but it could grow. Its a slow grower even here in islands, 25 years to reach a foot in dia. Maybe someone did bring some seeds out and planted it. I personally would not pay the premium price that koa does demand unless he had it shipped in.
    That would be my top pick. It's awesome to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    The Mimosa mentioned makes good turnings but some are allergic to the wood. I have enjoyed turning over a dozen pieces from it up to a 16" bowl. A Danish Oil type finish really brings out some good grain pattern and wood reminds me of some Hawaiian Koa. I pick up any available over 4" diameter.
    Yikes, we cut and burn all mimosa (and ailanthus) as invasives but haven't tried turning it. If I get one large enough I'll try drying some.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Yikes, we cut and burn all mimosa (and ailanthus) as invasives but haven't tried turning it. If I get one large enough I'll try drying some.
    You would do better twice turning and drying a rough turned bowl. I was surprised to get the 16" blank from tree service and only expected about 8" tree material. Some of the Mimosa trees around here do go 12" or so and it is usually not considered a usable wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    You would do better twice turning and drying a rough turned bowl. ...
    Some may do better, but not me.

I cut a lot of green blanks but I give them away. For me, smaller things from dry wood are more challenging and more enjoyable. Happy day - I just checked and the incredibly spalted 3 and 4" Dogwood turning squares I cut in '15 are almost dry!

A year or so ago I did make a 16" bowl from beautifully spalted maple and one of these days I'll get around to finishing it - it just needs to be mounted on the vacuum chuck and the base cleaned up. Hmm, it would make a nice popcorn bowl for my Lovely Bride for Christmas...

JKJ

Anything but Willow. It's OK, but not worth it to me. The others are all decent tot turn.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

There is a good chance the twisted trunk material might be Rocky Mountain Juniper given your location. It might have some nice color if it isn't too far gone.

John I got some mimosa crotch that is whole been sitting for a year, I turned a bowl out of the same tree and it is interesting. Dark and light swirls. If you get this way.