Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New router selection advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The DeWalt 621 is my vote. I have the Elu forerunner and consider it one of the best around still.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The 621 was a favorite of the late Pat Warner, quite an endorsement. It isn't my favorite but it is excellent and I get the appeal.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My most used "all purpose" routers are now my DeWalt 618B3 kits. I bought one kit and liked it so much that I bought a second one for the truck two months later. Each kit has not only the fixed and plunge bases, but also has the D handle base. Whenever doing dovetails on my Leigh D4R jig I always use these two in their D handle bases with the jig because I like the stability as well as the trigger control that I get when using thees bases. The low center of gravity and relatively light weight of these routers makes using them for just about any job a pleasure. About 2 years ago I picked up a DeWalt DWP611 and it quickly became my favorite router for doing smaller light routing. Combined with a CRB7 guide, the pair seems to be made for each other, although the CRB7 can also be used with many of my larger routers, it is most often used with the 611. I own a total of 12 routers in several brands from a 4 base laminate trimmer up to 3 1/2 hp, but these are now my "go to" routers for just about every routing chore.

Charley

I added the Bosch MRC23 recently because I wanted a bigger router and liked the idea of having two bases. A plus for me (may not be for others) is it came with a hard plastic case. I hate having power tools in fabric bangs getting beat up or worse not case at all. I know I'll never keep my router bits in the case with it but it's not uncommon for me to be doing a job in my house, garage, or shop (all separate buildings) so being able to put the tools I need in the back of the side by side and not worry about them getting damaged is a plus. It's not light by any means but having the trigger on the grip vs the top is nice. You can have both hands on the handles get it exactly where you want to start and then turn it on. However it makes it impossible to mount into a lift as the router has a plastic strip with contacts on it for the bases to have the trigger. Since you have a router already set up in your table saw it shouldn't be an issue. Like others have said, pick your color and accept that if you want the power you are going to have the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I added the Bosch MRC23 ... but having the trigger on the grip vs the top is nice.
    The always on LED light is nice too.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.