Thread: jet lathe paint

jet lathe paint

I have a jet 1642 evs and needless to say it needs a paint job,,i finally got in touch with jet and they do sell the paint,,its 31.00 a can,,can anyone tell me of a color that is close to it,,lol,,it would be cheaper to change the entire color,,any help would be appreciated,,,also,,if by chance anyone does want to pay jets price,,the stock number is,,,,,mp-106,,thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    I have a jet 1642 evs and needless to say it needs a paint job,,i finally got in touch with jet and they do sell the paint,,its 31.00 a can,,can anyone tell me of a color that is close to it,,lol,,it would be cheaper to change the entire color,,any help would be appreciated,,,also,,if by chance anyone does want to pay jets price,,the stock number is,,,,,mp-106,,thank you
    Some discussion here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ff-White-Paint

Someone on another forum recommended Rustoleum Canvas White: https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-77.../dp/B000PIG3AS
    Someone else said Rustoleum "ivory" from Lowes (or Amazon) was a good match.

I haven't tried touching up mine.

JKJ

Here’s what I have used.
    You can also take your banjo to a paint supply store. They can match it for you.
    057A8643-3416-483C-A9C6-F4A8AD10DBEF.jpg
    Last edited by Dwight Rutherford; 11-16-2018 at 3:31 PM.

Dwight is there a color on the can,,,i will check at lowes or home depot

Color is on the top, “Biscuit”. It is appliance paint, found it at Lowe’s.

If Jet sells the paint for their lathes wouldn't they know and have the color?

I have used “Biscuit” It is very close.

I have a Jet 1642 and needed to give it a coat of paint. The Jet paint was crazy expensive so I took the banjo into my local Ace hardware for a color match. Here's what they came up with. It was a near perfect match and oil based, so it is also durable. That was almost 6 years ago and I think the quart cost ~ $13 at the time.

IMGP6099_1c.jpg

IMGP6100c.jpg

EDIT: Even though I can spray it, I used a foam brush originally and it flowed very well not leaving traces of how it was applied.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 11-17-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Jet parts prices

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    If Jet sells the paint for their lathes wouldn't they know and have the color?
    Yes, but I think the point was that Jet charges way too much. Their "touch up" paint is very expensive. The "Biscuit" color from Amazon is 1/5th the cost. Same thing with parts - just hope you never need a switch or starter capacitor or VFD for a Jet machine - they always seem too want at least twice or three times the market value.

Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    I have used Rustoleum Canvas White on my jet 1640 to rehab and it works beautifully. Super cheap and super available at almost any big box store.