Thread: Dimensions Of Jet Benchtop OSS?

Dimensions Of Jet Benchtop OSS?

I'm planning on getting the Jet Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander and want to build a mobile base for it. Can one of you owners please give me the dimensions of the base? Do you like the machine?

The stand I built for the one I used to own was 12" x 12". The only reason I replaced it was to get a larger OSS (bigger table and longer spindles).

Given the dimensions that the previous poster mentioned, I'd suggest you be careful about stability and have a much wider base. You can even consider making a workstation with the tool table embedded so you have a larger support surface for your work pieces.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The table top is about 14x14, so if have the storage place, I'll go with that. In my limited space, smaller the better. As it is, I'll have to give up some of my wood storage space for this sander. As it is, I've been using an old PC portable OSS, table mounted, but it's a pain to break out and set up every time I want to use it, so sometimes I just don't bother.

Yea, I understand! I have to get my sander(s) (OSS and Combo) more accessible because of some products I'm working on that really need their attention as part of the production process.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm also wondering if anyone offers a 1" drum for 1" sleeves. I notice the drums go from 5/8" to 1 1/2"...is that right?

Mine sits on a base 16" X 16" with the top just a little larger, maybe 17" X 17". The angle iron base was made from old bed frames. I store sanding sleeves on the bottom shelf.

The lack of sleeve sizes bothered me when I first got the sander. I bought extra spindles from Jet and the rubber tubes from another manufacturer. Someone on a scrolling forum found the rubber sleeves/tubes for me. It has been four or five years and do not remember the source for the rubber tubes. The tubes were too short for the Jet spindles so I bought two of each and glued them together end to end and cut them to the correct length for the Jet spindles. The inside diameter of the tubes fit the Jet spindles like they were made for a Jet. I now have spindles 1/4", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", 2" and 3". This made the sander much more usable for my hobby and craft work. If you are interested I will see if I can find the source for the rubber sleeves/tubes.
    Jet OSS 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Mine sits on a base 16" X 16" with the top just a little larger, maybe 17" X 17". The angle iron base was made from old bed frames. I store sanding sleeves on the bottom shelf.

The lack of sleeve sizes bothered me when I first got the sander. I bought extra spindles from Jet and the rubber tubes from another manufacturer. Someone on a scrolling forum found the rubber sleeves/tubes for me. It has been four or five years and do not remember the source for the rubber tubes. The tubes were too short for the Jet spindles so I bought two of each and glued them together end to end and cut them to the correct length for the Jet spindles. The inside diameter of the tubes fit the Jet spindles like they were made for a Jet. I now have spindles 1/4", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", 2" and 3". This made the sander much more usable for my hobby and craft work. If you are interested I will see if I can find the source for the rubber sleeves/tubes.
    Jet OSS 1.jpg
    Robert, yes, absolutely! I need to know your sources. The sizes you have are the sizes I want as well. So they all use the same sized spindles, is the right and those are available from Jet?

Yes, the spindles are all the same size. The sanding sleeve size comes from what I call the rubber tubes or sleeves that slide over the Jet spindles. Jet is now calling these a P.V.C. bushing. Might be the same thing I am calling rubber. Item #68 is the sleeve which slides over item #66, the spindle. The sleeves are in different diameters which determine the sanding sleeve size.

Spindle diag.JPG

More info. I found my original thread when a few of us were trying to find 3/4" and 1" for the Jet OSS back in 2011. Even grabbed a copy of a picture I posted when I received the parts. The spindles are the 1/2" spindles from Jet. The rubber sleeves are from a Rigid OSS. They are only four inches long so you need to order two of each size to max out the Jet six inch spindle. I am pretty sure the sleeves came from Ereplacement.com. You should be able to get the Rigid model number online easy enough and then search for parts.

Jet sleeves.jpg

Robert, thank you so much! Found the sleeves, as you specified. Still can't figure out why Jet never made those an option. Thanks again.

Good stuff Robert. Thanks for the info!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Given the dimensions that the previous poster mentioned, I'd suggest you be careful about stability and have a much wider base.
    I should have included a pic - the base is much wider than where the sander is attached. I also replaced the spindle storage to include room for the 3" spindle.
    Spindle sander shelves 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Still can't figure out why Jet never made those an option. Thanks again.
    You, me and a bunch of other JBOS-5 owners. Jet includes those sizes on their larger floor model OSS. Back when I bought my JBOS-5 the bigger floor model was well under a thousand dollars and I almost bought it for the extra spindle sizes but cheaped out in the end and got the smaller one thinking it would not matter. Wrong, seemed every time I wanted to sand a curve I needed 3/4" or 1". That is what started me on the journey to find a solution.

Derek, how about posting the part numbers to this thread so others in the future doing a search can get the info quickly ?

Kevin, I added a second throat plate holder to the existing one to hold the extra throat plate for the 3" spindle. Have yet to add a spindle holder on the other side to hold all of the spindles I now have. That big three inch one takes up a lot of space. In the picture of my sander you can see a small square block with a hole in the center. That is how I currently hold the 3" spindle then two more just get put wherever. I must fabricate a proper holder to replace the Jet stock one.

This is what I found on Ereplacementparts. The Ridgid parts are for the Oscillating Edge Belt Sander and the Jet JBOS 5. As was stated, it will take 2 each of the sanding drums and 2 total of the spindles. I can't say for sure that these parts will work, as I haven't purchased these items yet. Once I do, I'll post again to let you know how it worked out.
    Jet Part Number: JBOS5-71 - 1/2" spindle
    Ridgid Part Number: 822304 - 3/4" sanding drum
    Ridgid Part Number: 822304-1 - 1" sanding drum