Thread: candle holders

candle holders

What size drill bit do I use for the hole in candle holders for 1 inch tapers? I've been told a special bit is required but I can't seem to find a supplier on the net. Thanks, Perry

Measure the largest part of the candle stick and drill a smaller hole. You can finish sizing with a square end scraper to a snug fitting taper.
    God is great and life is good!

Please please please use the size of drill bit that fits the non flammable insert you put into the hole. Have you ever seen what happens when a candle burns down into a wooden candle holder? I have! It can burn your house down! Basically the hot molten wax soaks into the wood and the candle holder acts as an oversized wick. Big flames quickly!

Excuses for for not using metal or other non flammable inserts are: they are aesthetically ugly, they cost too much, I don't have them, I always blow the candles out before they reach the candle holder (unless I fall asleep or leave the room or something else), my kids would never leave a candle unattended... You get the idea. Fill in your own stupid excuse...

If you don't believe a candle holder can cause a bigger fire than you think it can try it yourself. Or ask a lawyer...

Please be safe out there, someone's life may be at risk.

BTW. There really is no such thing as a standard one inch taper candle... My family had a candle shop... Be very afraid!

Clint

In an article I wrote for American Woodturner I describe how to make your own custom tapered candle drill bit using a spade bit. I would have to look it up to see what article it was in. Rockler used to sell a tapered candle holder drill but they stopped just about the time I was writing an article on candleholder. so I had to figure out how to build my own. I do use some brass candle holder inserts but in my opinion they look ugly. I do agree with Clint is it possible to have a fire with a candle holder but this topic came up after my article and so I let several different styles of candleholders burn down to nothing and was not able to start a fire. Not saying it can't happen but when I purposely tried to make it happen it didn't. I found the article. It is in issue 20.4 page 18 to 23. I tried to save a PDF of the drill bit article and will see if it will post here. Well could not figure out how to download a PDF file onto here. If you want a copy write me at johnclucas45@gmail.com

I attend revolutionary war reenactments. Flashlights, coleman lanterns and the like are forbidden. Strictly primitive candle lanterns. The number of lanterns I have seen catch fire when unattended has to be in the dozens, over a period of 40 years. Never had one of mine catch fire, but I have seen identical lanterns catch when candles burned down. A simple metal liner prevents most of those fires and potential tragedies. I was always particular about using metal candle cups in anything I built. Even once made a mold to mold them from scrap pewter. I recently made a few incense burners and have been using pressed steel sliding closet door pulls as the bowl for the burning incense. People do dumb stuff. The more fool proof the item, nature just creates a greater fool. I lost a house, shop and favorite dog to an electrical fire. I am not gonna risk a fire over something as silly as a candle cup liner. BTW, I understand such liners are required by law in Canada