Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Madison Dog Morning Walk

I just got back from Chloe's 3 mile walk. I tried to wait until it stopped snowing, but daylight was fading fast.
    I would much rather have used my elliptical, but she goes nuts if she doesn't get her walk.

Years ago I took her predecessor skiing when we had 2 feet of fresh snow. She ran out ahead of me jumping from place to place like foxes do on nature shows. After about 20 jumps she decided to fall in behind me and take advantage of my tracks. We had to put her to sleep last year at 17, but she walked a mile the day before!

Blog Entries
    Burying your dog is a lot like burying one of your kids. Not really, but it is difficult.

Burying your dog is a lot like burying one of your kids. Not really, but it is difficult.
    Having done both.......you are 100% correct & no "not really" about it.
    Both tear your heart out, then fold spindle and mutilate it - before sticking in back in your chest, kicking you in the pants & telling you to get back to living.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I’ll second the dog part,

It’s brutal.

Watched my dog go into cardiac arrest five minutes from home after a one mile walk. Gave her mouth to mouth all the way to the emergency vet not knowing exactly what was going on. She was ice cold within five minutes.

It really put in perspective to me that when this thing is over it’s freaking over and you had better do with it exactly what you want before the choice is taken from you.

It hurts like hell. That was not even a month ago yet. My other dog is also still not the same. You can tell he is sad and lost.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-19-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Madison and I did 1.1 miles this morning. She is eager to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Madison and I just returned from our walk. It is brisk cloudy morning in Galveston county Texas.
    It is a great day to be alive.
    Very light snow this morning when the dog, cat and I went out for a walk.
    Walking Pals.jpg

I have found that I am walking less since my lab has gotten older. He has arthritis and has a hard time going distance or even getting up the stairs. A couple weeks ago I let him off the leash to run around the front yard, he started weezing and after an emergency vet visit we found out he has a paralyzed part in his throat that makes him sound awful when he gets excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I have found that I am walking less since my lab has gotten older. He has arthritis and has a hard time going distance or even getting up the stairs. A couple weeks ago I let him off the leash to run around the front yard, he started weezing and after an emergency vet visit we found out he has a paralyzed part in his throat that makes him sound awful when he gets excited.
    There's a regular in the neighborhood park that's like that: owner described it as a "collapsed trachea", sounds like the worst snorer on the face of the planet. The meds he's on now seem to help unless, as you say, he gets excited.
    (Just to add irony to the situation, the owner has asthma.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    We just did 1.08 miles. She is a happy pooch.

7" fresh powder this morning. The whole fam came along. Did about 1-1/4 mile.

Sorry, don't know how to right side up pic.

IMG_1674.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    Thanks for sharing the photo Tim. It brought back great memories of my former pasture chores that gave the drivers a good laugh. Every day while I was walking around the pasture with a wheelbarrow and picking up horse piles, I would be followed by my dog, then the 3 full-size goats (momma & her two boys), then the 2 cats (brother & sister) and quite often our nearly 30 year old heavily swayback Quarter horse would follow since she had bonded with the goats. I can't count the number of times someone would pull over and say they couldn't help but smile while driving by and seeing all the critters following me and getting along. Happily they all lived long lives of over 15 years of age each, but sadly they have all passed on now due to old age.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Clearly you must love those animals and they must love you. You don’t get that without forming a serious bond with a animal.

Good on you. Animals are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post

Sorry, don't know how to right side up pic.

IMG_1674.jpg

Blog Entries
    We did 1.34 miles this morning. It is 53 degrees, sunshine bright in Galveston County Texas this morning. Madison dog enjoys the walk as well. She walks ahead of me on a leash.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    We have a nine year old female black lab named Madison. I have been taking her with me on my morning walk lately. This morning we did 3/4 mile.
    She is resting on the living room floor now.

Several years ago, I had a heart attack and made a midnight ride to the ER. After getting out, I read a book on fitness walking. I walk 3/4 mile each morning.
    I have fully recovered and am in good health.

I am posting this in case any of you have issues I suggest that you google "fittness walking" and get started.

I don't know why I posted this, but maybe it will inspire some one that needs it.
    What pace do you walk at? Normal stride?
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Blog Entries
    We go 3/4 mile in 30 minutes.
    She walks at my left side on the road shoulder, head level, not pulling.
    When I go get the collar harness and leash, she gets excited, comes to me with tail wagging eager to go.