Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Megan Fitzpatrick Up to

What is Megan Fitzpatrick Up to

Hi All,

I was reading my son-in-laws Popular Woodworking the other day, and noticed that Megan Fitzpatrick is no longer the editor. Her intro articles on the work on her house, and other topics, was always interesting to follow.

Did she retire? If not, what is she up to? I know she had been working on an advanced degree of some type.

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Stew

AFAIK, she’s working for Lost Art Press.

Judging only by her Instagram posts, it looks like she is now self-employed. She still does editing, including for Lost Art Press, but I think it is on a freelance basis. She also teaches woodworking classes at various places.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    ... I was reading my son-in-laws Popular Woodworking the other day, and noticed that Megan Fitzpatrick is no longer the editor. ... Did she retire? If not, what is she up to? I know she had been working on an advanced degree of some type....
    This is old news, as it was announced last winter. I never saw a detailed explanation, it seems like PopWood management decided to change direction and either she or they felt she wouldn't or couldn't go that way. According to her Blog & Instagram she's freelancing now. She says she will freelance even more for LAP. Freelancing for Mortise & Tenon mag (some, at least.) Taking over as editor of EAIA's The Chronicle magazine. Teaching. And, she published a reprint of Peter Nicholson's Mechanic's Companion as Rude Mechanicals Press.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    This is old news, as it was announced last winter.
    Man, I'm really out of touch - I never heard it either, until just last weekend when I was blog browsing. Good post Stew - I wondered too.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Man, I'm really out of touch - I never heard it either, until just last weekend when I was blog browsing. Good post Stew - I wondered too.
    Fred
    Clearly you need to read her blog, at Rude Mechanicals Press, the Lost Art Press blog, and both of their Instagram feeds more often.

(Not only will you keep up on the career gossip, erh news, you hear about cool new books in the pipeline, and get various supporting material that didn't fit in the books.)

Thanks David! Appreciate the tip! I'll look her up.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hey Fred,

You aren't the only one who is out of touch. I usually say I am always right on the cutting edge of knowing what is going on, especially in cases like this. I found out in just short of a year after the fact! Not bad for me.

Stew

Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Boomarked it! Thanks Jim!

Thanks all,

I went to the sites and read a bit on them. Looks like she is keeping herself busy, teaching, writing and editing, and building stuff. Glad to see it.

Stew

Aw shucks – thanks for asking :-)

As others have noted, I've started what can only (at this point) be called a micro-publishing company (Rude Mechanicals Press), through which right now I offer a slightly enlarged (for my old eyes!) hardcover edition of "Mechanic's Companion"; I'll have another (possibly two) titles in 2019.

I'm also now editor of The Chronicle, the quarterly print journal of the Early American Industries Association, and my first issue just hit mailboxes last week...so I'm hard at work on the next. On that note, if anyone has scholarly research on early American tools/trades/industries (woodworking-related or other) you'd like to share, I'd love to hear from you: 1snugthejoiner@gmail.com or editor@eaiainfo.org.

I'm also teaching (mostly hand tool) woodworking classes (in 2019 at Lost Art Press, Highland Woodworking, Port Townsend School of Woodworking and Lie-Nielsen), editing for LAP and Mortise & Tenon, writing freelance articles (I just had an online piece w/Fine Woodworking on Knapp joints – that was fun!) and trying desperately to get my house into less-heinous shape :-)

Megan
    @1snugthejoiner
    rudemechanicalspress.com

Glad you're well! Best of luck in your new ventures!

Megan,

Good to hear that you are keeping yourself very busy and it sounds like you are doing some neat stuff. I wish you great success on the projects!

Good luck with working on your house. My experience is that it is a never ending job. I have rebuilt our fence twice, am currently rebuilding our deck, and have remodeled the kitchen and other rooms, and put up scaffolding and painted it.

I built a 120 sq foot storage building a few years ago but this year Hope to build a SHOP (shop!!!) this coming year (it will have a garage door, but it will be a shop.) If I do, it will be my first real shop ever, then I can build my first real workbench (with vises and all) ever!

At any rate, good luck with getting your house into "less-heinous shape!" It seems like it takes forever, but I know it actually doesn't.

Thanks for the update!

Stew

Blog Entries
    I recently subscribed to the magazine again, but alas without Megan and Chris Schwartz, it is not the same.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 11-21-2018 at 6:26 PM.