Thread: Coil bandsaw blades into 5 loops

Coil bandsaw blades into 5 loops

Someone just asked on another forum about coiling bandsaw blades into 5 loops. Coiling into 3 loops is easy and well instructed on the web. Coiling into 5 is not much different. Some of the blades I buy come in 5 loops so I knew it could be done. (Sorry if something about this was posted earlier, I couldn't find it with a search.)

I usually coil in three loops so about a year ago I tried coiling a 1/2" blade into 5 loops. Then since I couldn't leave well enough alone I coiled one into 7 loops just to see if I could. That was harder to hold and bend but done basically the same way. My blades are for an 18" Rikon, over 11' long. Shorter blades from a smaller bandsaw would be a little more effort.

No video, but I took a picture of the way I started. There may be better ways but this is what I came up with without asking Sir Google.

To coil into 5 loops, I first coiled into three, then gathered up two loops to make them smaller, held them down with my foot against the floor, then coiled the third big loop exactly like I coiled three. Probably could have held the smaller coils in one hand instead of against the floor but I didn't try that. (I couldn't get a cell phone action shot since I don't have three hands.) This was the starting configuration:

band_coil_01_IMG_20170807_143948_951.jpg band_coil5_IMG_20170807_143824_792.jpg

To coil into 7, I did the same thing as for 5 but instead of gathering two smaller loops I gathered four, then coiled the large one into three.

band_coil7_IMG_20170807_153046_018.jpg

I didn't try for 9 loops but it might not be impossible with a 3/8" or 1/4" blade.

Amaze your friends, impress the neighbors, bore the kids.

SAFETY: Best to wear gloves (leather if possible) and safety glasses or full face shield, especially if not experienced with coiling or lacking in coordination. I use safety glasses but don't wear gloves for the 1/2" blades any more - nary a scratch in 20 years of coiling. I hold the blade with the back against my palms, teeth away, and maintain a firm grip on the flat sides.

BTW, for even more fun try coiling the big blade for the WoodMizer sawmill. I wear gloves and eye protection for that. These blades are 1-1/4" wide, 0.045" thick, over 13' long, and the wicked teeth are spaced over an inch apart. They are the most dangerous when uncoiling - I remove the retaining wire and launch the coil away from me into the air above a grassy area - it springs apart in the air and lands safely. Makes an interesting sound. If one of those gets away from you medical attention might be needed.

JKJ

I just do 3, I tried more and gave up. Most of my bands are 19 to 21 feet long.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

BTW, for even more fun try coiling the big blade for the WoodMizer sawmill. I wear gloves and eye protection for that. These blades are 1-1/4" wide, 0.045" thick, over 13' long, and the wicked teeth are spaced over an inch apart. They are the most dangerous when uncoiling - I remove the retaining wire and launch the coil away from me into the air above a grassy area - it springs apart in the air and lands safely. Makes an interesting sound. If one of those gets away from you medical attention might be needed.

JKJ
    The 1" resaw blades for my MM20 are 14 feet long and coiling them into 3 coils (and uncoiling them) is plenty of fun. I don't think I'll try for five.

My blades for my Laguna are 182.5 inches long. I usually try for 5 loops so can fit them in my tray for cleaning, it’s not fun. I usually think about it for a day or so before I go after it. Those 1” tri masters are not too flexible. I get it but never on the first try. A pair of gloves and never short pants. Don’t ask.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Uncoiling is the one I dread the most. Have a 24" saw with 1" blade. I'm always scared it might uncoil into my face or ears...

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Uncoiling is the one I dread the most. Have a 24" saw with 1" blade. I'm always scared it might uncoil into my face or ears...
    WoodMizer has (or used to have) a video on uncoiling and coiling their 1-1/4" blades. I don't remember if they have good uncoiling advice since I use the very safe "throw in the grass" method for those, but maybe worth a look.

Uncoiling those blades always terrified me for the same reason you mentioned. When they uncoil unrestrained it is very fast, makes me imagine a bandsaw tornado.