Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lightburn vs rdworks

I'm interested in LightBurn and want to know how things work if I want to import a RDW file, I have quite a number of client files that constantly use over and over, I assume I would just need to export from RDW in a DXF file and import into LightBurn. Does this transfer well or am I just going to have to recreate the files?
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

The workflow is generally like that. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure RDWorks only exports to Adobe .ai and .plt file formats, not .dxf. With that said, at least for fairly simple files, LightBurn has imported both the .ai and .plt files created in RDWorks just fine.

RDWorks' handicap importing and exporting file formats is one of the primary reasons I moved to LightBurn as soon as LightBurn became polished enough to be viable. RDWorks fails so often when it comes to importing and exporting common file formats.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 02-19-2019 at 8:29 PM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

LightBurn reads dxf great, but I can’t say how well rdworks exports it.
    Homemade 6W 900x500mm diode engraver
    600x900mm Reci W4 with Ruida 6442G
    300x200mm 50W desktop hacked to bits with mods
    ...waiting on a 1325 Reci W8...

Another thought about LightBurn does it play well with Corel Draw and can it be used as a replacement for the EZ Cad that comes with the fiber laser? I am looking into the fiber laser in the very near future.
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

Running a galvo fiber laser is night/day different that running a gantry laser, so Lightburn can't replace EzCad as a way to actually run the laser. However, with EzCad, like with other Chinese software such as RDworks, LaserCad, LaserSoft etc, you simply do most of your actual graphics layout in a good graphics program like Corel or AI, and simply import it into EzCad to run it. The caveat with using EzCad is that it is fairly necessary to learn how to use text, because it does have some good variable text and rotary text routines. I've gotten quite used to EzCad, and the newer versions have some very nice features the older versions don't have, like an optional large window for text entry, being able to jog the graphic while it's redlighting, ignoring hatch fill during contour redlighting, auto cross-hatching in each hatch routine, 1-click contour redlighting instead of 5-clicks... etc..
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Oz has a fiber and has indicated he hopes to support fiber in the future. He has to get LB fully functional and out of beta for CO2 lasers first though so I wouldn't count on fiber support in the very near future.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment