Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to cut this edge detail?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I did this with a hand (plough) plane ...

... but this does not count!

With a router I would do exactly as Jim suggested ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Very nice Derek. My first thought was a plow plane or even a scratch stock, after wasting out the groove in the center, but I couldn't figure out how to do the corners. The end grain might be a bit of a problem, too. And, of course, my lack of a plow plane is an impediment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Thanks, Paul; I was going to use a variation of your suggestion but hadn't thought about a zero clearance fence. That's a good idea I'll try. I also have a lot of different sized pilot bearings (and a lathe to cut more if need be) so I could cut the rabbet in stages if need be.

In any event I'll be milling lots of extra stock for practice.
    I’m not sure you can get a rabbeting bit wide enough to accomplish the zero clearance fence , you might need a three wing slot cutter which most likely means you’d need to raise the bit and make multiple passes to get the full width of the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    I’m not sure you can get a rabbeting bit wide enough to accomplish the zero clearance fence , you might need a three wing slot cutter which most likely means you’d need to raise the bit and make multiple passes to get the full width of the groove.
    The groove is about 1/2". I do have a stackable 3 wing slot cutter that might work. I also have a much larger (in diameter) 1/4" shaper rabbeting cutter that almost certainly will work with a zero clearance fence on the shaper.

This might do the trick.20181116_164315.jpg

Blog Entries
    Do you have a quirk bead cutter for your shaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Do you have a quirk bead cutter for your shaper?
    No, but I'll have one from Amana for my router table by Monday or Tuesday.

Hmmmm, looks similar to these parts I made last year. I used a rabbeting bit and appropriately sized bearing to clear the inner field and then cut the beads with Rockler beading bit #91826. I did need to slightly "modify" the beading bit for my purposes.... but a few minutes of careful time on the bench grinder got me where I needed to be

I needed the bearings as my parts were curved, so no reason you should't be able to do the same on your rounded corners.

good luck,
    JeffD
    Attached Images Attached Images