Thread: Ceramic Guides For MM16?

Ceramic Guides For MM16?

I'm hoping to find a set of ceramic guides for my MM16, to replace the old bearing guides. Does anyone make direct replacements, without having to do any mods for mounting? I want to use them for both narrow and wider blades.

I don't know about ceramic guides, but I do have the MM "cool blocks" kit that they offered...at least back when I bought mine. I honestly haven't used it, but if I were going to do a lot of cutting with narrow blades, it would be a no-brainer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

several years ago i switched over to laguna's ceramic guides for my mm16 - no modifications and no problems swapping out. after struggling with the euro guides and then carters - i have found the ceramics are great. don't know about thin blades but lots of support for the bigger re-saw blades
    jerry
    jerry

i put the laguna ceramics on my MM16. generally they work quite well, far better than the normal bearings that came with the machine, but, i don't like the flat ceramic plate supporting the back of the blade - the blade creates grooves. you have to turn it to ensure you don't form a channel that catches the back of the blade and kicks it off center. otherwise, i think they are great guides.

-- dz

I have an MM16 and obtained ceramic guides from Space Age Ceramics, and they work well. Be sure to tell them the age of your MM16.
    Izzy

As Izzy mentioned Space Age Ceramics makes a set of direct replacements and runs about $300. You get bigger pieces of ceramic but they don't support the blade quite as close to the wood as the Laguna guides and still rely on the same adjustment mechanism (which I like) but you may not.

So you do have two options but no cheap option. BTW Space Age makes the ceramic inserts for Laguna.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I put Carter's on mine only because that's what I had on my other bandsaws. They work as expected but I'd like to try the ceramic guides.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jerry cousins View Post
    several years ago i switched over to laguna's ceramic guides for my mm16 - no modifications and no problems swapping out. after struggling with the euro guides and then carters - i have found the ceramics are great. don't know about thin blades but lots of support for the bigger re-saw blades
    jerry
    Jerry, do those Laguna guides also replace the rear bearing? Have they worked well on small blades?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Have they worked well on small blades?
    How small a blade are you interested in running on the MM16?

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

i don't use smaller blades on the mm - it's just set up for re-sawing - so can't comment about the smaller blades. the guides do come with a ceramic rear pieces - but as dz said it does groove - not really a problem for the re-sawing, but as he describes it may pose a "catch point" using smaller blades for sharper curves.
    jerry
    jerry

I’m using a 3/16”. Had to sell my 14” for more space in my garage shop. I figured the MM could do everything the 14” could do and more, so the 14” went.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I’m using a 3/16”. Had to sell my 14” for more space in my garage shop. I figured the MM could do everything the 14” could do and more, so the 14” went.
    Refer to my last post in your other thread. If you get the Laguna guides you are going to be right back in the same boat, a guide with "hard" side guides that is not compatible with blades more narrow than 1/4". You will have the option of the Laguna "cool block" type add on guides but that is even more money. With the MM guides you have the three options I listed in the previous thread, the MM Cool Block setup, a Carter Stabilizer or the Sam Blasco wood block guide. My suggestion would be the Carter Stabilizer which works REALLY well with narrow blades and only takes a couple of minutes to switch over once you "get" the process.