Thread: One last question about Adirondack chairs....

One last question about Adirondack chairs....

.... then I'll drop it (promise).

I'm very curious to know how long it would take some experienced and well seasoned woodworker to make just 1 Adirondack chair if you had a pattern to use and S2S lumber on hand. Staining as well.

20181115_110233.jpg

Note... the pattern would be on your computer. You don't have hardboard templates.

Its a bit of a loaded question... 1 would take a day start to finish in my home workshop, 10 would take 3 days. 8 hour days are assumed.

Permission granted to freely criticise my estimate. I'm never going to put it to the test as this style of chair is not for the disabled people in my house but I would expect to achieve the targets. Staining is done last after assembly. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I don't know about building one, but at my age if I sat in one, it'd take the rest of the day to get back out of it.

One 8 hour day start to finish? Wow, I think it took me 10 times that long. But it was my first chair.

I put the chair together first to make sure everything fit correctly, then took it apart and stained each piece then put it back together. Since the second chair was identical to the first, I stained it before putting it together.

I built 5 adirondack chairs a few years ago. Took me right around 30 hours total. Building them assembly line style saved a bunch of time. I made them out
    of Ipe, so no staining or painting. But, boy are they heavy... 70 lbs each!

Mine came in at 25lbs each.

I built two at a time and it took about 2 days, excluding glue and finish cure time. That included some milling of rough cut Cypress. I already had 3/16 inch Masonite patterns for all the curved pieces.