Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: workbench designs

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post

I do like those stacking sawhorses. I might need to weld up a couple of them. Are they made of 1" square tubing? It is hard to tell from the picture.

Also, how is the beech working for the doors? I like the look and machinability of it, but whenever I see it at the lumberyard, it looks like a collection of old hockey sticks, airplane propellers, and canoe ribs. The Europeans use it like we use pine, so there must be some way of getting it to behave.
    ¾" square tubing on the horses.

So far pretty good. We actually build all of our painted cabinet door frames out of beech now because of soft maple being so squirrelly coming off the rip saw

Martin, what are you using your Dust Cobra for? I also note your miter saw station has a higher table than I am used to seeing. Further, I like the idea of electrical outlets on the front. Very cool overall.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I like that pop-up setup for the sharpener that was shown. I'm beginning to realize I need a "more formal" setup for my sanders as I start production on some things and the pop-up would be perfect for my OSS to compliment the heavier combo sander that would have to be "on top" of whatever I come up with. I just haven't decided if I'm going to leverage an existing cabinet I have or build something more compact. Space is at a premium for me at this point.

As to work benches and work surfaces, I'm all about variable height solutions which is why my main bench utilizes the Noden Adjust-A-Bench base. I have some other surfaces that I can temporarily deploy at various heights based on what I use to support them. Working at a comfortable height for the operation at hand greatly reduces neck, back and leg pain for me. Substantially.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Martin, what are you using your Dust Cobra for? I also note your miter saw station has a higher table than I am used to seeing. Further, I like the idea of electrical outlets on the front. Very cool overall.
    Sander collection. It's supposed to be plumbed into all three benches, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The bottom of the saw is 40" off the floor

I put class 3 hitches on all my work benches. Any tool can be mounted on a hitch and removed with one pin when not in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kevin Beitz; 11-28-2018 at 5:52 PM.