Thread: Raised my game Today on Resawing

Raised my game Today on Resawing

Resewing has been hit or miss for me. Today I need enough to veneer both sides of a coffee table with 1/8" Mahogany. My stock was 9" wide RS but my saw will only fit 7 3/8" so some waste was in the works. I decided to get what I could and tore into the upper guide. A little trim here and there and now it's good for 7 3/4" That helps.

Put on an appropriate blade and started, and the result was a lot of wandering, and the belt slipped a lot.

Got into the belt problem and found that Grizzly had sold me a saw with a motor that didn't really fit and the belt couldn't be tensioned properly. Fixed that.

Back to the wandering cut, DOH I had not tensioned the blade. After that it went pretty well.

Resawing can often be vexing. It is like the 1 iron in golf, it will telegraph and magnify every operator and setup issue. It often asks us to push a saw to their limits or in your case beyond the limits via modification!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Resawing can often be vexing. It is like the 1 iron in golf, it will telegraph and magnify every operator and setup issue. It often asks us to push a saw to their limits or in your case beyond the limits via modification!
    Ah the old golfers lament.. If caught out on a golf course during a thunderstorm and afraid of lightening, one should grab a one iron and hold it up, because even god cannot hit a one iron.