Thread: Replacement of planer blades.

Replacement of planer blades.

Sorry bout the extra thread but the "edit post" on my sharpening thread was gone.

So I just bought a used JET JWP160s planer. I'm looking to buy an extra set of blades for it. JET blades are anywhere from $149-$186 for a set of three. aftermarket blades are about $85! Are the Jet blades that much better or just name brand priced?
    Any after market brand blades the go too blades for you guys? Any to steer clear of?

Thanks, Scott

EDIT TO ADD: The picture of the Jet blades look to be double edged... does anyone know if that's the case?
    Last edited by Scott Braun; 11-14-2018 at 3:45 PM.

AFIK Jet doe not make anything. they just slap their label on stuff made by others. I assume their blades are made in china one step above the bottom.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    AFIK Jet doe not make anything. they just slap their label on stuff made by others. I assume their blades are made in china one step above the bottom.
    Bill D.
    Great insight, thanks..

Look for M2 or T1 hss. If your working with difficult wood then carbide tipped. It’s really that simple.
    I bought a set of M2 form this company and they are very high quality. http://www.americannationalknife.com/
    T1 is better but it’s harder to find a vendor to send out a set that’s ready to install.At least it was for me.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Look for M2 or T1 hss. If your working with difficult wood then carbide tipped. It’s really that simple.
    I bought a set of M2 form this company and they are very high quality. http://www.americannationalknife.com/
    T1 is better but it’s harder to find a vendor to send out a set that’s ready to install.At least it was for me.
    Good Luck
    Thank you!

Right. They are made in the same places in the same way as Powermatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D.

Check with Global Tooling for their Titan knives.