Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Would You Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    I’m not sure if I missed this,...... what is the slab he needs? Species and cut would be helpful.... i’m burning a bunch of offcuts of maple, Oak, cherry, pine, and walnut. Most of it is live edge.
    When we were on the computer looking at slabs, I pointed out this one as a possibility. It's Angelim Pedra

He loved the figure and I could see him thinking about how it would work. He then asked me if they would have any slabs with bark all around. That particular piece is 1.90″ x 45″ - 0″ x 32″ and goes for $284.47. I told him I didn't know if he wanted to spend that much to which he replied, "This is going to be done right. The cost isn't an issue." He's a retired Air Force colonel with 30 years service. Doing things right is in his blood.

The large carved whale he showed me is at least 18" in length. Probably closer to 2'. So the slab will have to hold that and two other smaller whales (or maybe dolphins - I don't remember). Looking at other slabs they have online I saw this piece of Cumaru. It's 3″ x 18″ - 18″ x 69″ but the price is $504.27. Not sure how he'd feel about that.

The circling grain in the middle would be perfect for the whale jumping out.

Besides the price possibly being a problem, he plans to hang this on the wall. He knows whatever he makes will be heavy but the above piece alone weighs 104 lbs. The back is all debarked wood, no blade has touched it. If he was good with the price, I would ask Advantage to slice it to maybe 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" thick.

The more I look at the slabs they have online, the more I realize he needs to be in on the selection. When I set aside time to make the run to Sarasota, I'll talk to him again before I go.

Thanks again for all the help.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Right on the money with incontinence or bladder issues. So common and awkward at that age. Don’t worry about his hands, they will be self limiting but he will deal with that.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I expect it was the trip that dampened his enthusiasm. My Mother is 102, and she doesn't like to be away from her own bathroom for more than an hour, or so.