Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Aircraft Propeller Factory Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    It's possible she just doesn't know the advantages of keeping the guides close to the stock.
    A well tuned and tensioned saw doesn't even need the guides. Many times I have raised the guide post all the way up and pulled the guide off to make a cut.

Pretty well know chair guy does this all the time with his Y36.

ike all this stuff it depends what you are doing, Done tons of cutting of stuff for template work, smaller blades for radius work over the line before a shaper or routers no guide there is peeing in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    For me my shaper is the machine that I pay attention to the most.

We powerfeed, or have clamping jigs to hold everything. Sure, safety is part of it, but garbage coming out the other side doesn't do anyone any good. I've shoved a lot of stuff through a shaper by hand, but you can't beat a powerfeeder for consistency in cut quality, (assuming feed rate and chip load are correct).

There's a lot of sketchy stuff I wouldn't run by hand through a shaper either.

The one tool that freaks me a bit is the jointer. Guard or not, I just don't care for them, even though I use one almost daily and have never been hurt by one. The only tool to earn me stitches was a bandsaw. Shredded a thumb in a tablesaw once, and recently made a nice 1/8" deep groove in my middle finger with my panelsaw. That one earned me dummy of the week, especially since I was training a new guy. Chisels, especially dull, are by far the most dangerous tool in a wood shop in my opinion.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 11-17-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    A well tuned and tensioned saw doesn't even need the guides. Many times I have raised the guide post all the way up and pulled the guide off to make a cut.

Pretty well know chair guy does this all the time with his Y36.
    Wide and or thick blades at high tension and thus high beam strength do not need guides (well as long as you aren't running a feeder in the upper range) but narrow blades gain a lot of support from the guides especially in tight contour work. That said it is possible to do good contour work with a thin blade and loose guides but you have to guide both the workpiece and the blade, it certainly can be done but not a skill most will bother to cultivate.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

“Chisels, especially dull, are by far the most dangerous tool in a wood shop in my opinion.”

I think the most dangerous tool in ANY shop is a dull brain.

On a seperate note, what a great young woman in this video. Pretty rare to find a pretty woman who chose her career path in these times. You all focus on her bandsaw techniques? This is a girl who grew up sleeping on barrels of poison while waiting for her grandpa to land on an unlit grass strip at 3am. Some of us have a bigger picture of what is truly dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    It's possible she just doesn't know the advantages of keeping the guides close to the stock.
    It is possible she knows exactly how to use the saw set up the way it is. The reason she does it is she needs maximum depth of blade to shape the propeller boss and changing the height all the time wastes time and money. Please explain how taking the time to change the height of the guides would give her a better result.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Ok I broke down and watched the video.

I don’t see the issue here. Based on her workpiece she is never closer than a couple feet away from the blade. It’s like the workpiece essentially has a giant handle built into it.

I’m all for using your knuckle and staying safe but there is nothing wrong going on here. Also for the quality of of cut and or rough cut she is making there is no need to bring the guides down. You can see the blade is doing just fine just as she has the saw setup.

FYI, I thought the video might get me a bit more excited. After reading the whole thread I’m kinda disappointed. I feel led on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    It is possible she knows exactly how to use the saw set up the way it is. The reason she does it is she needs maximum depth of blade to shape the propeller boss and changing the height all the time wastes time and money. Please explain how taking the time to change the height of the guides would give her a better result.
    Please know that I didn't mean my post as being critical of how she does things. Just an observation. I enjoyed the video and applaud what she's doing.

I prefer this 3 part series on props.
    https://youtu.be/l9UbnJlhrHA

I believe the video could have been helped greatly through better editing and certain interviewing techniques. Looking at the camera while asking someone behind you a question is awkward at best. But kudos to her for carrying on the business.

https://youtu.be/ax0yaHi4acc
    I am pretty sure this company is the king of wood prop manufacturers. Note the CNC process, glue up, fiberglass coating, and finishing differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I believe the video could have been helped greatly through better editing and certain interviewing techniques. Looking at the camera while asking someone behind you a question is awkward at best. But kudos to her for carrying on the business.
    The understatement of the year, I have seen several videos of her and they are all terrible.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Note the CNC process,
    I'm surprised to see it done on a 3 axis.

They're still picking and filing the final shape by hand it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    https://youtu.be/ax0yaHi4acc
    I am pretty sure this company is the king of wood prop manufacturers. Note the CNC process, glue up, fiberglass coating, and finishing differences.
    I know less than nothing about wooden props but does anyone know if the company in the initial video (Ms. Lewis' Culver Props) is providing a service not covered by the obviously bigger and likely more efficient Sensenich props in this video? Given one of the props Lewis showed was a hot air balloon inflation prop it has me wondering if her company fills gaps the larger ones don't mess with.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

eep thought for the day:

My bandsaw relieves tension on me when I leave it alone