Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Aircraft Propeller Factory Tour

Wooden Aircraft Propeller Factory Tour

I found this on YouTube. At first, I passed it up due to the eye candy in the thumbnail. Then I decided to take a look. Sure glad I did! It's even in my state. Prepare to be surprised!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHXlhJlPqKg

Yes I too passed on it originally for the same reason and was pleasantly surprised when I watched it. Really chuckled when "gramma" was chipping off the excess glue with her lap dog in her other arm.

That is one really interesting video. Cool process , how wooden props are made.

Thanks John. By the way I think I am in love!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    By the way I think I am in love!
    I was as well until I saw her faux pas with the bandsaw guides...

Thanks John, you might consider posting it in the video sticky thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....e-WWing-videos

Also if you click on the movie film icon (beside the picture icon) you can post the video directly, like this:

Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I saw a video of someone using a carving repeater to duplicate a propeller. It was kind of cool.

I tried to find prices for those propellers, but didn't have a lot of luck. The closest I came was their price list, which just goes by hub sizes for Lycoming, and Continental engines, as well as a few other categories. Looks like one of the ones she's working on in the video would be $865, which seems pretty cheap for the amount of work, but she doesn't have employees to pay. I was impressed though.

I am thinking she could really benefit from a CNC setup?

I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    I am thinking she could really benefit from a CNC setup?
    That duplicator isn't much slower, and a five or six axis aggregate head and machine would be $200,000+

That's no simple cnc task. At best you'd save a little bit of time sanding.

Plus, that one's already paid for.

I'm thinking she could really benefit from lowering the guard on her bandsaw so she doesn't take an arm (or torso) off.

A cover photo of Sam Maloof using a bandsaw drew similar concerns. Note that on two lane highways we come within 5 feet of disaster every time we meet a car.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Dunno...seems like for those who have 19 splitters, anti-kickback pawls, guards, shields, vacuum shrouds and Safe Space protectors on their table saws (which in my view do more harm than good by blinding you) this oughta be a no-brainer...lots of potential harm for someone cutting long pieces with lots of scraps and trash on the floor to trip over ... and no reward that I can see to make the risk worthwhile.

Plus, I'm guessing that comparing our intrepid propeller maker gal with Sam Maloof is akin to comparing me to Michael Schumacher behind the wheel. Apples and aardvaarks.

On the other hand, since we somehow avert disaster every time we pass a car on the highway, why not eliminate all guards, seat belts, airbags, yada yada? To each their own...
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 11-16-2018 at 8:10 AM.

That was an interesting video. I had no idea it was a low tech operation, but after watching I don't think you could beat the speed/simplicity of the duplicator setup. The biggest cost to that operation is the press to generate 75psi clamp force. I talked to a friend who owns and maintains a small plane and he mentioned that each step of the manufacturing must be approved and listed in the certification process. These props start at around $5k and go up from there.