Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenox tri-master for 21" saw? (g0531/w1770)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Yep, 62,640 psi. As you say even if somehow it is off by a factor of two you still have plenty of tension. As Dave mentions be mindful of what you are doing to the frame/tension assembly. In any case those numbers are impressive, higher than I have ever seen on a woodcutting saw and while I have never tried to get more than ~30Kpsi I never thought I had near that much left. While I have that gut feeling it is wrong the fact you were able to repeat it and most of the errors in method tend to produce LOWER numbers along with the fact it would require a micrometer to be farther off than I have ever seen leads me to think it is indeed capable of massive tensions.
    I'm a bit surprised myself. The dial indicator is decent, I'd be suprised if it was off more than .0002 off
    The overall setup would likely be far more suspect, but it's relatively straight forward.

Like I said most setup issues result in low readings not high. Again, I am not saying your reading is not accurate, it is just so far outside my experience that my gut can't help but be skeptical. I think even with a potential measurement issue you are probably more than good with a 1" carbide blade!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I would be interested to see your results if you put a 4 or 5 inch extension or spacer block on your dial indicator and stop so that you are measuring strain over a much longer gage length. The longer the gage length to more accurate your results will be. If you don't have an extension use a piece of wood or something similar and definitely not a piece of aluminum which will expand/contract more than you can imagine if you grab hold of it.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Like I said most setup issues result in low readings not high. Again, I am not saying your reading is not accurate, it is just so far outside my experience that my gut can't help but be skeptical. I think even with a potential measurement issue you are probably more than good with a 1" carbide blade!

6.150" Center to center .0085 stretch for 40,552psi. That seems more in line with expectations.

I decided to throw another indicator on the saw and measure deflection at full tension. It was .080" towards the table.
    20181115_193805.jpg
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 11-15-2018 at 9:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    6.150" Center to center .0085 stretch for 40,552psi. That seems more in line with expectations.

I decided to throw another indicator on the saw and measure deflection at full tension. It was .080" towards the table.
    20181115_193805.jpg
    Thanks for the follow-up info., Jared. 25 - 30K psi is plenty on the Woodmaster CT. Lowering the tension into that range will help reduce the frame bending, too. 0.080" is huge; I'll bet your upper blade guide was no longer parallel with the blade over it's full range. Personally, I wouldn't take it up to full tension again.

John