Thread: Cherry Burl Water Vase

Cherry Burl Water Vase

This is a piece of cherry burl that is 12"H x 7 3/4"W. It is about a 1/4" thick except at the bottom. I wanted to make the base a little heavier so that it had better balance. It has been dipped in a blend of oils and will be Beall buffed. I'm thinking of adding a glass sleeve to this so that it can be used to hold fresh cut flowers. Any thoughts or suggestions on that idea?
    1694.jpg

Some turners will get the glass sleeve first and turn the inside to fit it securely. If not take the hollow form to your local hobby store and find what works best.

beautiful piece, and would be nicely accentuated with flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McClure View Post
    Some turners will get the glass sleeve first and turn the inside to fit it securely. If not take the hollow form to your local hobby store and find what works best.
    That's the way I prefer but you can probably find a glass or plastic insert that's loose and turn and glue in a wooden spacer ring to fit. Or get a glassblowing student to make an insert to fit out of some interesting color.

Thanks for the input everyone. When I'm at the different shows that we do, I often get asked can these vase hold water so that flowers can be put in them. I recently did another vase and included a glass sleeve in it for one of my college fraternity brothers. His girl friend really liked the idea of the glass sleeve so that she could use it as a flower vase if she wanted. So, I am looking at it more from an added feature from a sales perspective. There are several glass sleeves that I can get at some of the craft stores that will fit the opening and height nicely.

On a side note, I did find that on the other vase that I put the glass sleeve in that when I first picked up the sleeve, it fit nicely. Then yesterday I went to put it back in it wouldn't fit. The wood had moved just enough that I had to go back in and sand the opening so that I could slide it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. When I'm at the different shows that we do, I often get asked can these vase hold water so that flowers can be put in them. I recently did another vase and included a glass sleeve in it for one of my college fraternity brothers. His girl friend really liked the idea of the glass sleeve so that she could use it as a flower vase if she wanted. So, I am looking at it more from an added feature from a sales perspective. There are several glass sleeves that I can get at some of the craft stores that will fit the opening and height nicely.

On a side note, I did find that on the other vase that I put the glass sleeve in that when I first picked up the sleeve, it fit nicely. Then yesterday I went to put it back in it wouldn't fit. The wood had moved just enough that I had to go back in and sand the opening so that I could slide it in.

i wonder if the sleeve could be cracked or broken if it was in there while it shrank?

Adam, there are a couple of factors that need to be considered when getting a glass sleeve: 1) how dry is the wood--if the wood is already dry and the turning has set for awhile, the movement should be minimal, and 2) you don't want the glass sleeve to be what might be considered a snug or tight fit so that any wood movement would cause the glass to break.

On the one that I did, it was tight enough that I did not want to take a chance on forcing it into the opening. It took just a little sanding in one spot and it slipped right in. I use non-hardening clay in the bottom of the vase to help level the glass sleeve and to keep it at the height I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    ... and 2) you don't want the glass sleeve to be what might be considered a snug or tight fit so that any wood movement would cause the glass to break.
    Sounds like a flexible insert made from nylon or HDPE or something might be best. Or a glass insert with flexible collar/sleeve made from silicone or something that would give easily.

JKJ

Another alternative is to coat the inside with a clear epoxy coating. It holds boats and tubs together. Mix up some epoxy(or fiberglass resin), pour it in and rotate it to coat all the inside and repeat if you are the nervous type. Inserts do not work well in already turned pieces, especially hollow forms like vases.

Just a design note when turning a vase for holding flowers is the center of gravity....So think about the diameter of the base and the height....avoid making these designs that easily become top heavy when holding floral arrangements. In many instances, a beautiful free standing vase is not the best for floral arrangements.
    Another alternative is adding sand under your glass insert for added bottom weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McClure View Post
    Just a design note when turning a vase for holding flowers is the center of gravity....
    That's a good point to remember.

For things that get used, rather than just looked at, I tend to make the bases thicker for a lower center of gravity. I use dry wood so cracking while drying isn't a problem. I recently made a mortar and pestle which is quite heavy - I didn't want it scooting or tipping with use. I make Beads of Courage boxes/lidded bowls that way too. And contrary to the 1/16" wall goal of some turners, normal people seem to love the substantial feel of a heavy piece, especially if the center of gravity "feels" right when moving it in the hand. I've had people pick up several nearly identical small dished platters then pick up a heavy one from Goncolo Alves and comment on how they liked the feel.

For weight in the bottom (or for balancing anything), I like to use lead shot with epoxy to hold it in place. A horse dressage crops must be carefully balanced:

dressage_IMG_20131211_123345_703.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 11-15-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Put a little sand in the bottom then use high quality artificial flowers... no water needed ....
    Vase is too nice to spoil with putting water near it...