Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Table Saw Dust Collection

Grizzly Table Saw Dust Collection

I have a relatively new Grizzly 1023RL table saw. I find the dust collection port to be all but useless. I removed the "funnel" under the blade and have in mind to cut the cabinet to accommodate 6" flex hose from my 6" duct work. When I removed the "funnel", I noticed that the belt and pulley are now more exposed. My question is, will the increased exposure to saw dust at the belt/pulley area eventually lead to problems. Thanks.

Hi,

Can you tell us more as to why you find the stock dust collection to be near useless?

I ask because dust collection on my G1023RLWX has not been an issue for me. My DC piping is all 4”. I think my DC is 2HP. Might be 3HP but I doubt it. Been a long time since I thought about it.

Can not answer your question as far as exposing the belt/pully goes. Hesitated to respond because I did not want to send your thread on a tangent, but can’t help but wonder why I seem satisfied with the same saw you have...while you don’t.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Bill:
    The dust port in my saw consists of a rectangle approx. 4.5" x 1.75". Above the rectangle is a circular port with a 1.5" diameter which has a piece of flex hose running to the funnel under the blade. Thus, there is not a full 4" diameter opening. Sufficient airflow through a 1.5" port cannot be attained, as observed by a good amount of saw dust coming out through the blade guard. Likewise, the airflow through a rectangle with a 1.75" height is also inadequate, as reflected by the accumulation of saw dust inside the cabinet. My dust collection system consists of a 3hp cyclone with 6" ducting leading to the blast gate, after which it is reduced to 4". My hope is that by eliminating the 1.5" tube to the funnel, and opening the port to an unobstructed 6" diameter to run a 6" duct into, the airflow will be greatly improved as will be dust collection.

Edward, I have the same saw and tend to agree with you. I have a 3 HP DC and run 6" piping to just before the rear 4" port on the saw. I always have a zero clearance insert on when cutting at 90 degrees. The dust collection isn't too bad if cutting a board where the blade is not exposed on the left side (like skim cutting an edge).

But there is always dust that accumulates on the table near the end of the cut. And I've also noticed that a lot of dust is still left in the corners inside the cabinet. My plan, like you, is to eliminate the small port that goes up to the blade shroud and make a 6" connection on the bottom right side of the cabinet, since that is the direction my duct comes from and it would eliminate a 90 degree bend for me.

But there's still the problem of collecting some of the blade dust above the table. Others will chime in here but I'm now sure the only answer for complete (or almost) collection of dust at the TS is to have a pickup collection blade guard. There are many aftermarket ones or you can make your own (a lot of threads on this subject). I also plan to WYE off my 6" duct with a smaller hose to one of these collection guards.

I agree with the need for collection above the blade. It's a work-in-progress.

Blog Entries
    I believe the hose to a blade shroud is smaller in diameter to increase the velocity. Trying to catch at the blade in a tablesaw differs little from te well known troubles collecting at a CMS. I ran saws for years that had no blade shroud and collected from the bottom of the cabinet. I don't see this as a problem if you prefer that. You may get more spoil thrown back onto the table as it is now not collected at the blade but, DC is always a compromise to some degree.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I too agree that above blade dust collection is desirable (on most any tablesaw) and hope to add it to my saw as well.

I have never worried about sawdust remaining in the corners of my saw cabinet, thinking it improves the “aerodynamics” of the interior shape. I think this may be the reason for the difference in our levels of satisfaction.

Bill

Anyone with any thoughts on the increased dust exposure of the belt/pulley area with the blade shroud off? Thanks.

Edward,

I took a look at mine and think what I would do is fabricate a sheet metal piece to put in, in place of the plastic shroud you removed. This would keep the sawdust away from the serpentine belt and pulleys, the same as that flat side of the shroud did, but still give you what you want otherwise. Would be very simple to make. Perhaps you could even use thin plywood if you don't like working with metal.

Myself, the less sawdust that gets between the belt and pulleys, the better.

By the way, I was amazed at how much sawdust is in the bottom of my saw!

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 11-14-2018 at 4:09 PM. Reason: Typo and add thought...

Good suggestion Bill; thanks.

I recently removed that 1.5" tube because it kept getting clogged...haven't noticed any difference in dust collection. Using the blade guard certainly helps reduce the amount of dust being thrown in my face but find using it really annoying. Not sure what the solution is.

Well, I got more interested and now am finding myself dissatisfied with the dust collection on my 1023RLWX.

The tube to the shroud sucks very little saw dust...I checked by removing my ZCI and sprinkling in some sawdust...perhaps it is partially blocked. I mean maybe 90 percent blocked?

I may follow Edward's lead and remove the shroud. And also modify the exit point, which has a baffle to accommodate the small hose.

I need to thank Edward for the extra task added to my task list!

Bill

The beauty of the forums.

Doubt that removing the shroud has a negative effect on the belts/pulleys. My old style 1023 has no shroud and has been trouble free for many years. I did increase the cabinet port to 6" and use an overhead guard/collector plumbed with 4". I covered the tilt slot in the cabinet with a piece of sheet magnet so it's easily removable. Still get some dust in the corners of the cabinet but that is of little concern to me. The combo of the increased cabinet flow and the overhead does a nice job.

Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 11-15-2018 at 10:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the photos.