Thread: Milwaukee 2-1/4 HP Router (5616-xx)

Milwaukee 2-1/4 HP Router (5616-xx)

Hey all,
    I've noticed a lot back in the day (aka 2007-2010) that there were a lot of complaints about the plunge mechanism on the Milwaukee 5616 plunge router. The culprit was apparently a weak thumb screw that holds the stop rod. I reached out to Milwaukee about this and they said they've been selling the same one since 2013. I wonder if anyone has purchased one of those "new" ones and can comment as to whether the stop rod mechanism is "fixed" or not. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    I have several 5616 and 5615's and a few plunge bases. Oldest is probably 2006, newest is probably 2013. No problems. I did stick an "L" knob over the original knob to make it easier on my aging pinkies.

Mil Plunge Knob Fix-3.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-13-2018 at 4:26 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn. Where'd you get the "L"? Also, do you have an opinion of the Milwaukee vs the Bosch 1617?
    Last edited by Marcus Waddell; 11-13-2018 at 5:04 PM. Reason: Added info

Blog Entries
    I'm partial to Milwaukees but, that started quite a while ago.

routers.jpg

I run 5625's in my PRL lifts and am quite hooked on that combo.

L knobs are available here and there. Here's one. The Milwaukee's construction is more robust than some other popular makes and the plunge is super smooth although I can't speak to current production runs. Isn't that a sad state of our world? I tried a DeWalt one time but . . .

collet-compare-1.jpg

Their collet had rust on it in, brand new and in the sealed plastic bag. Also seemed comparatively a little wimpy. The plunge was a little sudden and hard to move smoothly as well. Not a bad tool, just not as nice and around the same price. Routers can be kind of personal though. They appeal to a person at the same tactile level a hand plane does. The one that I really like may be awkward to you. Get your hands on a couple and see which feel the best in your hands
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler