Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barr Specialty Chisels

Tom, that it one impressive restoration you are undertaking...stone foundation? Dirt basement floor?

Yes. Stone foundation. All cut from glacial erratics, of which there are a fair number around where that 1798 house is. Right now, the Foundation that owns it is just staying ahead of it falling down. Those pictures were taken several years ago. The basement was dug sometime after the house was built, and it had almost all tumbled into the basement. More stones were picked up, and put under the house to hold it up, on top of the rubble, but it was losing the battle.

In 2011, I designed, and installed a waterproofing system that has since kept all water out. Some Floors had tumbled down to the ground, since standing water under it made it a smorgasbord for termites, and they took some of the main support beams.

House was built in 1798, and plays an important part in the history of the Methodist church. Average age of the Foundation members is probably mid-80's, and most don't even use the internet. They know little about raising money, and so far, have paid for what's been done out of their own pockets.

There are lots of pictures on my website showing what I've done there. So far, since they bought it buried in a Wisteria jungle in 2008, we're just barely staying ahead of it falling down, but it's remarkable enough to be worth saving.

edited to add: Here's an article about it in the current issue of the local LakeLife magazine starting on page 25:
    https://view.flipdocs.com/?ID=10003598_503023#1
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-18-2018 at 11:44 AM.