Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-stick frying pans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Non-stick frying pans

I need some recommendations on non-stick skillets.
    We have a Calphalon square non-stick "griddle" pan purchased about 10 years ago. Unlike some cheaper products, the non-stick coating has not chipped off, but the pan is no longer non-stick. Additionally, the center of the pan is now convex. We recently found a 10" & 12" Calphalon skillet set for $50 and bought it, but this latest set doesn't look as promising even as the "griddle" pan.
    We need another 10" skillet and would like an 8" as well, and would appreciate suggestions.

Housekeeping:
    We're looking for performance & longevity at a reasonable price. Probably willing to pay +/- $150 or less for a 8" & 10" set. We may be willing to increase our budget for something that will last 20 years.
    We have a glass top electric stove. Our next stove will be the same or possibly gas (propane).
    We don't use metal utensils on our non-stick cookware and aren't in the habit of leaving empty pans on hot burners.

SWMBO is a bit of a pain sometimes, things have to match, be a certain color etc. etc. She bought a set of Paula Dean pans and they've been decent but one frequently used frying pan has a small patch of peeling teflon(?). I bought a Green Life pan at Walmart that so far - probably 18 - 24 mos. - that has held up well. We do use non-metallic utensils.

i thought some pans were made purposely with a slightly rounded bottom to better sit on gas stove burners. yes, flat is what you want for electric We have Bialetti pans that have held up well. i think they all eventually lose the non-stick, i'm guessing from dishwasher washing.

You might consider cast iron. They are durable -- I have two which are forty years old and still going strong. You can use metal utensils. There's no concerns about what the non-stick coating is doing to you. They also happen to be a quarter the price of non-stick pans. The only downside I know is that they want to be hand-washed.

I've standardized on Zwilling for my ceramic non-stick...the Spirit is the current version. I never buy this stuff in "sets"...I buy the pieces I want based on my actual needs. I will not buy any "non-stick" that isn't ceramic and PFOA/PFTE free...we have birds and other non-stick can be deadly to them. It's not exactly healthy for humans, either. I also use enameled cast iron (Staub from the same site) and love it. All the normal benefits of cast iron (the "original" non-stick) with a lot easier clean-up and for folks like you who have "glass" cooktops, no scratching. I try to buy stuff when on-sale or clearance for obvious reasons.

For skillets/fry pans, I have a 12", a 10" and two 8" pans. I also have a similar 9" pan that came with an induction hot plate. ALL of these get a lot of use since I'm the "chef". Those 8" and 9" pans get heavy use for a variety of things, from prep to preparing a single serving of fish for my younger daughter who does not eat other kinds of meat.

BTW, one thing you need to understand about ceramic non-stick is that if you do not clean it properly, it will stop being as non-stick as it can be. Like with any hot pan, sugars and starches can form a "varnish". Cleaning while it's still hot helps and gentle scrubbing with a little Barkeeper's helper and a mild pad will remove the "varnish". Avoid metal utensils when you can, too, to prolong life.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-13-2018 at 9:17 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Todd,
    I bought a couple of these for the wife a few years ago and they have stood up well. Both the non-stickness and the pans themselves.
    https://www.swissdiamond.com/
    Izzy

If you haven't seen America's Test Kitchen on PBS, they do very good equipment reviews and comparisons. Their conclusions on non-stick skillets are that they should be treated as an expendable, rather than long-term, tool, as the coating will wear off, no matter what. They recommend the T-Fal products for a good value.

Wirecutter agrees:
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-nonstick-pan/

The Goodwill stores always have some used non stick ,slightly scratched pans for a dollar or two. Good for mixing body
    putty and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Camire View Post
    Reckon why they would show burned food in their promotional photo . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've standardized on Zwilling for my ceramic non-stick...the Spirit is the current version.
    I was looking at these and noticed they have metal handles, which I've never used. How hot do the handles get in normal stove-top use? I'm not thrilled with the idea of needing to use potholders/mitts...I'm clumsy enough in the kitchen as it is.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I'm not thrilled with the idea of needing to use potholders/mitts....
    It seems to me to be a choice between having to use pot holders or not being able to put it in the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    It seems to me to be a choice between having to use pot holders or not being able to put it in the oven.
    Understood...I think I've done that twice in my whole life.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I've had my eye on cast iron from this relatively new company. I like their story and as soon as I have some spare change I'm going to spring for one of their 10" pans.
    https://smitheyironware.com/our-story/
    Thanks in part to this thread, I've come to learn there is no shortage of USA cast iron cookware manufacturers. In addition to the above here are a few:
    http://www.stargazercastiron.com/
    https://finexusa.com/
    https://fieldcompany.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    ...there is no shortage of USA cast iron cookware manufacturers...
    Thanks for the list, Edwin. We cycle through Teflon/ceramic pans every few years and the missus just bought two new ceramic pans. Even with improvements in the coating process ceramic/Teflon just can't stand the prolonged abuse in our kitchen. That makes it easier to justify spending extra dollars on something that will last and small American companies making quality products are worthy of support if you can swing the extra cost. Here's another one:
    https://butterpatindustries.com/collections/frontpage

Lee, here's a photo of what I was speaking about relative to handle design...this general type doesn't get hot unless you are using way too much fire or put them in the oven. This is a 3 qt sauce pan for size reference.

IMG_2928.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...