Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non-stick frying pans

You'll find loads of great tips from this Cast Iron site. http://www.castironcollector.com

I have stripped and seasoned several Griswolds and Lodge items now via their instructions for the Lye method. The newer Lodge has texture on the bottom while the old Griswolds are smooth. When seasoned well, all of them are non-stick and my LOML cooks breakfast eggs in the textured Lodge and they don't stick.

When it comes to cleaning CI, I don't believe the myth about not washing them with dish soap. I do it every day with the small Griswold and it does not ruin the seasoning. We found washing/rinsing CI could cause dish sponges to become smelly and I have been using this great chain mail scrubber for several years now and love it. It does not scratch the Griswolds. Here is a link to Amazon http://a.co/d/8iXaMX8

We just inherited a vintage Le Creuset skillet and have been told this will become our favorite pan. I haven't looked up care & maintenance yet, but it looks like a very nice enameled CI skillet.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    A lot of professional chefs are big fans of the classic French black steel pans. Look into DeBuyer. They are not particularly expensive and take seasoning just like cast iron, and will last a lifetime just like cast iron.
    The DeBuyer Mineral pans have this plastic-y coating on the handles that smokes if you put them in the oven. Better to go with either the less expensive plain steel ones or Bourgeat steel pans.

I've had my eye on cast iron from this relatively new company. I like their story and as soon as I have some spare change I'm going to spring for one of their 10" pans.
    https://smitheyironware.com/our-story/

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I've had my eye on cast iron from this relatively new company. I like their story and as soon as I have some spare change I'm going to spring for one of their 10" pans.
    Very cool, thanks for sharing that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've standardized on Zwilling for my ceramic non-stick...the Spirit is the current version.
    I was looking at these and noticed they have metal handles, which I've never used. How hot do the handles get in normal stove-top use? I'm not thrilled with the idea of needing to use potholders/mitts...I'm clumsy enough in the kitchen as it is.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I'm not thrilled with the idea of needing to use potholders/mitts....
    It seems to me to be a choice between having to use pot holders or not being able to put it in the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    It seems to me to be a choice between having to use pot holders or not being able to put it in the oven.
    Understood...I think I've done that twice in my whole life.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Thanks in part to this thread, I've come to learn there is no shortage of USA cast iron cookware manufacturers. In addition to the above here are a few:
    http://www.stargazercastiron.com/
    https://finexusa.com/
    https://fieldcompany.com/

I was looking at these and noticed they have metal handles, which I've never used. How hot do the handles get in normal stove-top use? I'm not thrilled with the idea of needing to use potholders/mitts...I'm clumsy enough in the kitchen as it is.
    Metal handles are not an issue if they are designed correctly which involves the form near the pan and the connection. The only time I ever use pot holders with my sauce pans is when I've been boiling something like potatoes in the 4 qt. The short, secondary handle needs the pot holder for sure; the longer one sometimes if I was using truly high heat, and always if I'm dumping out boiling water through a gap between the lid and the pot for safety anyway. Generally, however, the handles do not get hot under normal circumstances. For the skillets, the metal handles are an advantage as I do a lot of searing on top of the range and then finishing in the oven. I have a few silicone handle covers that I slip on after the pan comes out of the oven to help (usually) avoid some very loud bad words...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    ...there is no shortage of USA cast iron cookware manufacturers...
    Thanks for the list, Edwin. We cycle through Teflon/ceramic pans every few years and the missus just bought two new ceramic pans. Even with improvements in the coating process ceramic/Teflon just can't stand the prolonged abuse in our kitchen. That makes it easier to justify spending extra dollars on something that will last and small American companies making quality products are worthy of support if you can swing the extra cost. Here's another one:
    https://butterpatindustries.com/collections/frontpage

Lee, here's a photo of what I was speaking about relative to handle design...this general type doesn't get hot unless you are using way too much fire or put them in the oven. This is a 3 qt sauce pan for size reference.

IMG_2928.jpg
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Lee, here's a photo of what I was speaking about relative to handle design...this general type doesn't get hot unless you are using way too much fire or put them in the oven. This is a 3 qt sauce pan for size reference.
    Thanks, got it. I'm getting responses (elsewhere, for unspecified brands) ranging from "barely warm" to "burned my hand taking it out of the box".

Thanks, got it. I'm getting responses (elsewhere, for unspecified brands) ranging from "barely warm" to "burned my hand taking it out of the box".
    LOL. I can appreciate that. However, I have 18K BTU from my burners and the only time I've burnt myself was when I inadvertently forgot that a pan was in a 400º oven and grabbed the handle. (DON'T DO THAT!!!!) So range-top really hasn't been an issue other than what I noted previously which shouldn't be surprising for any kind of pan.
    --