Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint and Finish Room

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    Be cautious about high ceilings, shelves, joists, etc., that can collect dust that's ready to fall on your fresh finish with the smallest disturbance. As an example, integrated circuit fabrication facilities have very low ceilings and no overhead structures for exactly that reason (though the dimensions of concern are different).
    Good point Wayne. I had thought of that to some degree. I'm going to do my best to keep the room as clean as possible. I've been sealing the OSB panels with caulking and will weatherstrip the doors to try to create an environment that is as dust free as can be made. This will certainly be by far a much better space to finish in than I've had in the past.
    Jeff

I've been reading up on positive vs. negative pressure in spray booths and I'm now leaning more toward a positive pressure booth. The advantages I see are that with a fan(s) pushing air into the both, they are out of the airstream and less apt to cause any ignition issues. Also, it won't be pulling in dirty air from any nooks or crevices in the rooms perimeter, although I'm going to lengths to reduce that from happening. I'm not trying to make an explosion proof booth, just making it as safe as I can. 75% of the time, I'll be spraying waterborne materials and the other 25% maybe oil based enamels.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on pressure?
    Jeff

If you go with positive pressure, where would your air source be? Would you filter on both sides of the fan supplying the pressure?

In my head, it just seems that would be more likely to bring in dust/dirt particles than negative pressure.

I was concerned about the explosion issues when I built mine, but the fan was on the outside, blowing out my garage, so I took the chance that any slight ignition would be forced outside kind of like a jet engine.

Yes it was a risk, but I couldn't find any good extractor fans that were reasonably priced for my one time use. For a permanent fixture like yours, I would fit one or two belt driven fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    If you go with positive pressure, where would your air source be? Would you filter on both sides of the fan supplying the pressure?

In my head, it just seems that would be more likely to bring in dust/dirt particles than negative pressure.

I was concerned about the explosion issues when I built mine, but the fan was on the outside, blowing out my garage, so I took the chance that any slight ignition would be forced outside kind of like a jet engine.

Yes it was a risk, but I couldn't find any good extractor fans that were reasonably priced for my one time use. For a permanent fixture like yours, I would fit one or two belt driven fans.
    Chris, my thought was to place a fan in each of the intake ports next to the door and filter just downstream of the fans. Then filter again in the window for overspray. I have two Patton air circulators already on hand that I could use for the project. They blow very forcefully. Either way, the intake air is coming from inside the shop. I will have to filter that intake air not matter which way I go.

I have looked at the belt driven fans, I'd have to save up for one. That still may be an option.

Thanks for the feedback
    Jeff

Sheet Metal Up

i worked on hanging all the sheet metal this weekend. Got it all done and started on the trim. For the trim, I'm using 2x2x1/8" angle iron @ 85 cents a foot. I'm going for an industrial look and durability, and I think this fits the bill. Hopefully finish the trim next weekend and then on to the doors.

20181209_153157.jpg11055.jpg20181209_122640.jpg20181209_152345.jpg
    Jeff

What material are you using for the ceiling? ... or is there decking above the joists that doesn’t appear in the pictures?

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    What material are you using for the ceiling? ... or is there decking above the joists that doesn’t appear in the pictures?

-Tom
    Hi Tom,

There is OSB decking above for the loft storage area. Right now there's no plan to close in the joists below, if they start gathering a lot of dust or become a problem, I'll install OSB underneath as well.

Thanks for following!
    Jeff

Jeff — I’m thinking of doing something similar (although probably a tad smaller) in my soon-to-be-built shop, so very interested in the build and how the space works for you. Thanks for sharing.

-Tom

A disadvantage to a pressurized booth is air velocity coming in. It stirs up the air in the booth making it more difficult to direct the overspray into the exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    A disadvantage to a pressurized booth is air velocity coming in. It stirs up the air in the booth making it more difficult to direct the overspray into the exit.

I've adjusted my design to allow for either positive or negative pressure depending upon the material being sprayed and how well it performs under various conditions. I'll have intake and exhaust fans mounted and at the ready. This will take some testing and tweaking to obtain the desired results most likely. It's all new to me, I'm used to hanging plastic in the garage and going at it. This should afford better conditions to paint under, that's my goal at least.

Thanks for your input Tom.
    Jeff

Can't wait to here how it works out in each mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Can't wait to here how it works out in each mode.

Me too Chris! I have a large computer desk project for a client in January that will need paint applied in the new room. Hopefully it will all work out great. I've still got a few things on the punchlist to get done before it can be used, so that's a prerequisite.
    Jeff

13. Thumbs up on the open joists! This will give you unlimited flexibility in hanging items from the ceiling for paint. I keep some small chains with home made C-hooks for hanging or holding material up.
    woodnhsv

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Yokley View Post
    Thumbs up on the open joists! This will give you unlimited flexibility in hanging items from the ceiling for paint. I keep some small chains with home made C-hooks for hanging or holding material up.
    Good point Russell. I'll definitely be doing some of that.
    Jeff

While you can certainly use hook/eyes for ad-hoc hanging...you could also put in some "solid" bars made with suspended pipe/EMT that would allow you to hang things quite easily for finishing work on items of variable width. Lots of interesting things you can do for work support like that that don't involve the floor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...