Thread: How to create this finish?

How to create this finish?

Does anyone know how to create this finish? Anyone know what it's called?

Screenshot_2018-01-03-19-04-58.jpg

You might need to zoom in on the photo.

Looks like a variation of pickling or whitewashing where most of the white has been wiped away. A search for pickled wood finish will find you plenty of info on techniques.

Its a limed white colour technique that works well with white pigment stain. Surface preparation needs to be artistically rough in places so that the white stays in the defects. The best way is to finish the job with usual care and then scuff/dent/scratch etc in a way that replicates a somewhat battered look. This is harder than it sounds.

The stain is hand applied and wiped off taking care not to wipe too deep into corners and defects so that the white highlights are retained. Clear coat with your usual system allowing for a white tinted toner midway through to tidy up the colour matching. There is another thread in the last week or two where I went into the techniques a bit more. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Wayne, I attempted to find that thread you mentioned but gave up after about 30 minutes. (Well, I did get sidetracked a bit reading stuff that caught my attention). Could you point me in the right direction to that thread or at least provide a title? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Try searching for "Cerused oak" as that is typically what that style of finish called.

It's a thread called white washed straight grained oak started by Bill Adamson a week or two ago. Cheers

If it were me, I’d try brushing on Zinsser BIN shellac-based white primer, let it dry for an hour or two, and sand back with 120 or so and see if that gives the effect you see there. If so, you’d be ready to go straight to topcoat.

Thanks Bennet. I'll be doing several trial runs.