Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crushing Turquoise for inlays? PIC

Crushing Turquoise for inlays? PIC

I want to fill some bowl cracks and imperfections with Turquoise and was thinking of using a steel cylinder (pipe) and ram rod to crush the stones shown below. How much should they be broken down; powder, uniform pieces, etc?
    Turquoise 001.jpgTurquoise 002.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 11-12-2018 at 6:14 PM.

Steve, it is hard to tell the size of what you have. I like mine crushed to about the consistency of play ground sand and/or finer. The reason I like this size it that it will fill the cracks and voids better and you have less appearance of the epoxy or CA that you use as the adhesive. I also like to mix it with brass key filings. I think it gives the turquoise a more natural look. I get the key filings from my local big box store (free). I always get a strange look from the associate when I ask if I can have their key filings. I've had to tell several of them what I'm using it for.

Buy it from these guys already crushed and sieved to your particle size: http://www.etsy.com/listing/38678335..._home_active_2

Lots of other inlay materials as well.

I think that it is good to have a combination of powder fines, little pieces and slightly larger pieces. That way all of the pieces will fill the voids.

I haven't tried adding key filings to turquoise but that is an interesting idea that I'll probably try.

My own preference would be to mix with an epoxy. I've read that epoxy out-lives CA. Also, CA is brittle and I'm wondering if the bowl moves (humidity, time, etc.), will the CA "stay put" ?

I bought a coffee grinder at Goodwill for $5. I just keep grinding until it looks powdery.

Thanks to members Bill Bukovec and Steve Doerr for their suggestions on the coffee grinder and brass filings respectively. I picked up a used coffee grinder at Goodwill and brass filings at our local hardware store this morning. Looking forward to giving them both a try soon. I plan on purchasing some epoxy from Jamestown Distributors. It seems to be what many recommend. I realize that already crushed stone is available but being close to Kingman, AZ and the turquoise mining done there it seemed appropriate to use something locally. Looking forward to trying something new.

PS Just tried the coffee grinder on some turquoise and it worked great.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 11-13-2018 at 5:43 PM.

I've done exactly what you suggested (pipe and ramrod). I buy imitation turquoise beads from Michaels or Hobby Lobby on clearance (look for broken strands and ask them to discount) and crush a few at a time.

Size of particles depends on the cracks you're filling and the size of the article you are filling on. I've used the crushed turquoise on several pens (filling worm holes) and on a gear shifter for an old truck

I use crushed corncob polishing media, but being cheap I buy it at the pet store as hamster bedding. It can be dyed any color you want, it can easily be ground to a fine powder or used as small chunks. When using it with epoxy, they get to the point of cutting like rocks. I also used crushed walnut shells, another polishing media, I bought this at a reloader supply dealer, again they can be run through a coffee grinder to an almost powder form, but I prefer the small chunks.

Whatever you do make sure it doesn't come above your turning surface because it will dull your tools the second they touch and then you'll find yourself sanding or grinding it down for a month.

Steve,
    I use ground plastic pony beads to fill voids and for a lot of other decorative applications. The beads come in over a hundred colors, are easily ground in a cheap coffee grinder and are applied using CA the same way as minerals or coffee grounds. The best thing is that they can be turned and sanded just like wood. The mesquite bowl below, courtesy of Gale Yarrow, a member in our local club, is filled with a mixture of turquoise and black ground pony beads using thin CA. The other bowl has decorative rings that go all the way through the wall and has never cracked or separated over the last five years since it was turned. Go to www.aggieturner.com/preparing%20and%20using%20ground%20pony%20beads.pd f for a link to instructions on how to prepare and install ground pony beds.

Turquoise Filled Bowl.JPGLapis Mulberry bowl sm.jpg
    Way south of most everybody...

Great inexpensive technique for tilling. Thanks for sharing.

12. Ditto what Don said.

Dave - Thanks for the suggestion using pony beads and the link to the excellent instructions using them. I think they would be a better choice for me for the time being rather than using the turquoise, primarily because the beads would be easier to turn. I have some on order and can't wait to try the technique.

Guys,
    Glad it might help. It is really easy, cheap and has a lot of applications. Let me know if you ave any questions.
    Way south of most everybody...

I've been crushing my turquoise with a hammer and steel rod contained inside a can on a metal plate. I read where some of you did it with a coffee grinder and I thought, what a great idea! Well guys, I fell for it ! You either have very soft turquoise or the strongest coffee grinders on the planet. I tried it with a grinder, need I say the grinder bit the dust. Oh! Where was the warning, "Don't Try This At Home".