Thread: Benchtop Thickness Planer

Benchtop Thickness Planer

I been needing a thickness planer here and there on some of my projects and being on a fix income and convincing the wife well it seems it would have been a long wait lol. Well now I am getting one and the wife approved it after she found out what I can do with it especially when it comes to some projects she wanted me to do for her .

After reviewing cost and what others had said about the different thickness planers out there I am getting the Wen 6552T model. Several factors led to that decision, one the reviews so many good ones on it, it having 3 blades and the dust collection set-up and the price.

Will give a review after using it for awhile. I purchase it from Home Depot online.

Save your receipt! Less than 2 years ago I jumped at a WEN lunchbox planer from Wal-Mart. It worked very well until I fed it some bigger sticks. It seemed to choke & die. I returned it & got the Dewalt 735. It has held up well, although it is still a lightweight. If you treat it kindly & avoid heavy use it may serve you well. Let us know how it holds up and save your receipt

Doubt there is any better bench top planer than the Dewalt 735. Mine has lasted over 10 years (in hobby use but still a long time). I'm sure it will be more money than the Wen, but I think it was worth every penny to me.

Sometimes the budget is more important than the best. The Dewalt 735 is certainly the king of lunchbox planers but the Wen reviews well within its capabilities.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Good for you - a new tool is always nice. Look forward to readong your review!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Good for you - a new tool is always nice. Look forward to readong your review!
    Ditto that. I thought hard about a Wen planer - not sure if it was the same model - but ended up with a DeWalt 734 (not the 735 that always gets raves). I've been pleased with the DeWalt, but always curious about what I passed up.

I did buy a Wen drill press, which I'm happy with - and I'll give their customer service a shout-out. The DP showed up missing the handle for the speed adjustment. I gave their 800 number a call, and 15 minutes later I had the part ordered. Showed up in the mail three days later, and I was up and running.

Now Wen did have a 12.5 out there and basically there was alot more bad reviews than good ones plus everyone seems to not carry that one anymore.

Good for you, a bench top planer will do you lots of good. I have a Delta 12 1/2 incher that has served me well for going on 20 years now. I've got mine in the center of a 20 foot bench set up , makes it easy to feed it and take off. Enjoy your new toy!

dew​alt 735 or look into the cutech line. they have some great carbide head planers. I bought one recently and the finish is extraordinary.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Believe me I would have bought the dewalt 13 inch if I could afford it but there was some cheaper than the wen but with iffy reviews. My friend down in Terrel Tx has the same wen I bought and never had any problems and the finish is pretty good. he has his for over a year.