Thread: Question: Storing finishes after opening

Question: Storing finishes after opening

Since I am not anywhere near a full time woodworker, I often use only a part of a can of finish with the remainder going bad. I have some "stop-loss" bags but wonder if it will increase the useful life of more expensive finishes like Waterlox. Are there alternatives that are preferred for some finishes? Thanks!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Yes, the stop loss bags will work very well with Waterlox. I have some in a stop loss bag that is at least 12-18 months old and it is like new.

Jim

For oil base finishes, that method is about the best way to preserve them since you can remove almost all the "air" completely from the container. Water borne products are a little less sensitive and as long as the containers are properly sealed, they will generally last reasonable time. I have a container of Target Coatings finish that is over a decade old and still is usable, although I wouldn't put it on a client's project just under good principle. I use it for utility purposes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You might search the forum for previous threads on this.

I have beaten my partially used finishes of all types into submission. I keep a tank of inert gas in the shop and displace the air ever time I close the container. A bottle of TruOil, for example, has been good for years when otherwise it would have probably set up in a couple of months. The product Bloxygen works well for this but it's not cheap.

Any means of removing the air will be far better than nothing. Some are easier to use than others, and there is a tradeoff between cost and convenience.

JKJ

I often move it to a smaller container, widemouth jars mostly. Fill the container and dispose of a little for best results.

Thank you, one and all.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Nonreactive container with minimal oxygen. Small-mouthed, glass bottles filled to the brim are great. I have waterlox that stores for years this way. I use "4 oz glass Boston Rounds". When I buy a quart of WL, I decant into 8 of these. They keep for years.

I believe it was Jim who suggested the "Stop-Loss" bags to me a few months back when I asked this question. I picked up a couple from Lee Valley and they have been excellent.

2nd on the stop loss bags - they work well.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I like the bag idea, but they're not cheap. I've had great luck using soda and water bottles. Two liter bottles for large volumes, and even those cheap flimsy water bottles work fine. Just clean then and dry them out well. The ones with sturdier caps are better, because you will probably spill some finish as you squeeze it to the top and that glues the tops on well.

Dan

For Arm-R-Seal I use wide mouth plastic jars and replace the air with glass beads from the dollar store.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.