Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beading

Beading

My project calls for a 1/4 inch bead on about 12 boards which are 4 feet long and shiplapped together. Do I use a beading tool ( such as Veritas ) or a beading plane ( woodplane 1/4 inch or Veritas small plow with beading attachments). I have done beading with my homemade scratch stock. It is a bit slow and am wondering if other methods are easier, or give better results.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    My project calls for a 1/4 inch bead on about 12 boards which are 4 feet long and shiplapped together. Do I use a beading tool ( such as Veritas ) or a beading plane ( woodplane 1/4 inch or Veritas small plow with beading attachments). I have done beading with my homemade scratch stock. It is a bit slow and am wondering if other methods are easier, or give better results.

I have an old home and all my mouldings are beaded. I have done it all- wooden beading plane, plow plane, scratch stock... All do the job, but the Veritas plow is by far my favorite way if you have deep pockets. Less deep pockets- Veritas beading tool.

Blog Entries
    If you have the small plow plane, use that. It will save a lot of time when you are doing beading on a lot of pieces.

In my case it would be a Stanley #45 for a job like this.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Depending on how you want the quirk shaped can also be a determining factor. Beading planes typically have a little flat at the bottom of the quirk, whereas beading tools go down to a point, like old work. The absolute easiest to use is a dedicated beading molding plane, and some of them do take the quirk down to a point. I once had to do some repairs to a 200 year old reeded mantle, and the only tool that would match the quirks was a beading too.

Just the reason I needed to buy a new tool! Thanks Malcolm & Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Depending on how you want the quirk shaped can also be a determining factor. Beading planes typically have a little flat at the bottom of the quirk, whereas beading tools go down to a point, like old work. The absolute easiest to use is a dedicated beading molding plane, and some of them do take the quirk down to a point. I once had to do some repairs to a 200 year old reeded mantle, and the only tool that would match the quirks was a beading too.
    Very interesting Tom. I will think about that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Just the reason I needed to buy a new tool! Thanks Malcolm & Jim.
    Glad to help, hope it will be your early Christmas present.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Decided to get 1/4 inch side bead wood plane from Dan of Red Rose Reproductions. What a beauty!! Light, smooth & a dream to use. Ordered it a couple days ago & delivered today. Making a shiplapped back for my china hutch with 1/2 inch quartersawn cherry.5A116E10-07EB-44EE-B5B8-D86AC810CDDE.jpgD04CB3D8-5C2E-4615-AF89-E8C44DCA34DE.jpg796EC021-3925-4934-A299-39D93AD9DE03.jpg9489BE49-6E78-4AD3-AC55-90ADD67D1530.jpg8E299572-7DB4-4C5B-9F5B-860B9452C16A.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Rainey; 11-19-2018 at 8:26 PM.

Good choice! That's by far the easiest, and most fun way to do it.

Thanks Tom! This bead plane is fun - what would you think if I ran a bead on the stiles of the glass door - that is, the stiles that almost meet in the center?

I don't understand the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I don't understand the question.
    Tom, I am making a china hutch with the top being a cabinet with the two doors with glass panes. The doors have vertical stiles & horizontal rails. When I got the beading plane yesterday the instructions said “ good for making beads on rails “. So it got me to thinking a bead on the edge of the stiles would look nice. I was interested if you have seen this in your historical restoration experience.C0039FE9-7625-4B2D-BCC4-3DFD513C20DB.jpg

Looks great!

edited to add: I remembered one on a piece of furniture from the 19th Century in our own house. This is a Grained armoire. Rotation aggravation again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-20-2018 at 8:06 AM.

Thanks for your advice Tom! The armoire looks to have a bead on only one of the stiles which is very interesting...it seems to minimize the vertical gap between the doors...much like the beading does in a beaded shiplapped joint.

set up.jpgend bead.jpg
    then add a second bead..
    double beads.jpg
    For this little box, I then split off the lid, by sawing right between the beads
    double beaded.JPG
    To make a lid...
    DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG