Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Just Curious . . . .

Not me, Doug...I don't sharpen often because I don't cut all that much. Mine need cleaned a lot more often than sharpened. Martin, however, runs a commercial shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Martin and Jim, what are you cutting that your blade needs sharpening before it needs cleaning?
    The usual. Wood. Glue. Nails. The occasional finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Takes about 5 min (not counting soaking time when you could be doing something else) to clean a blade. Wouldn't it take that long to pack it up ready for shipping to have it sharpened?
    Packing up involves throwing it on the shelf with the other blades and bits waiting for Tuesday when carbide guy walks through the door to grab them. 5 minutes cleaning is about $16 worth of cabinets I could get built. Sharpening costs $8 depending on the tooth count and grind

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    The usual. Wood. Glue. Nails. The occasional finger.
    Well there's your problem, stop cutting nails and your blades will stay sharp long enough to get dirty especially if your cutting "occasional fingers".
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-15-2018 at 8:51 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I too own a stack of Delta / DeWalt 7657's along with a couple of WWII's. One of the WWII's is new, even though it's been in shop for over ten years. Other WWII went back to Forest for replacement of a couple teeth. I hit one of those staples that holds a SKU tag on, and it shed some teeth. After paying Forest for TWO sharpenings, and replacement of teeth, a new WWI was only a couple bucks more.Sent a friend's similarly damaged melamine blade to Dynamic, and charges were less than 1/4 of what I had paid Forest. I find Forest blades and sharpening service to be OVER, as in over rated,and over price. In my area, I've never been into any commercial cabinet shop and seen a Forest Blade

5. I have an EZE Lap 3 piece thin sharpening kit. I'll typical run those over my blades. I know I'm not keeping consistent bevels at all but I does make a noticeable different and I'm only doing on my chop saw.