Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

12 Nov 2018

Greetings,
    I'll start off with the good news....I come off oncall duty in under 1 hour. With a team that was once 19 is now 3. Workload is the same so you have a clearer picture of my situation. No time for shop work this past week or this weekend. Our fridge did go out this past Friday and we got a replacement put in Friday afternoon. My hope is to get some time in the shop this week and get some cutting boards glued up. But right now, it's back to work for me.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, I love your "happy dance" when you come off on-call. LOL And it's totally justified, too...

This past week I completed a tack trunk commission a few days early from the required date, but the customer still hasn't completed the transaction. It baffles me that they absolutely had to have the unit prior to their 11 November raffle event, but here it still sits taking up space. And yea, they know that the deposit isn't refundable. At any rate, I also started playing around with CNC inlay for a potential project and I'm very happy at how close things are coming even in initial attempts. I'll likely continue with those efforts this week along with some substantial and needed shop cleaning as well as some marketing work. It's a bit chilly outside now, so a warm shop is a very pleasant thing to have!

Inlay test...first cut for this particular graphic...

OMEH1026.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I went down to see Dan Cassen and came back with 5 small, 1 1/2" thick walnut slabs, a 5" walnut slab x 2", 2 cherry slabs x 2", and an 8' piece each of maple and sassafras. A hundred bucks well spent. I'll start digging the nice figured stuff out of them and start the xmass boxes this week.
    20181112_100547.jpg20181112_100620.jpg20181112_100702.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I spent most of the weekend moving a wall in our basement. I had it roughed in and, well I guess I had it in the wrong place... So I took it out on Saturday morning and put I back up in a different configuration on Sunday morning. On to laying out the electrical.

I too spent some time at the lumber yard. I had put in an order for 20 bd ft of some QS white oak. It had to be dug out from the back of one of their sheds. So the young guy and I did some climbing around the stacks and pulled out some boards. Because they did not have it ready, and I took some smaller and marginal boards, they gave me quite a discount.

Something different for me - one of my grand daughters is entered in the global F1 in Schools program and she needed me to help with machining some balsa wood components. Its a great program. The kids get formal specification documents, have to do all the CAD/CAM work, document everything they do, and undergo scrutineering where the scrutineers use micrometers and verniers to check everything. All the entries have a standard CO2 gas cartridge engine. The cars are about 200mm long and are tested for straight line speed. Points are for both manufacturing and speed. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Wayne, I love these STEM programs that are becoming more and more prevalent in the school environments. Even if the students don't choose to do stuff like that in the future, they at least get a better understanding about "how stuff is made" and that's a good thing... I know a young lady locally (from the equestrian world) who is involved in this at school and she has a standing invitation to my shop to make something with my CNC if she wishes to as a continuation of what she's doing in the Maker Lab at school.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...