Thread: Shop Heat Brrrr

Shop Heat Brrrr

First off... Happy Veterans Day to all the vets!!

I have a small 12x16 "shop" that is un insulated and I would like to add in a heater for the time that I am working. Im not out there everyday but if I had heat that might change. I live in good ol Alabama and it does not get extremely cold but it can at times. Looking for recommendations on some heaters.

I have looked at the Profusion, Fahrenheat, and New Air. I have a 220 line ran from my panel so power is not an issue.

I was looking at the propane ones as well but that might eat me up in propane costs, but then again im not out there everyday.

Thanks
    If you like your freedom, THANK a vet !

Prior to getting my MiniSplit I used a Fahrenheat unit hung from the ceiling. (It's still there and available for emergencies) It did the job very nicely, albeit it's expensive to run.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In my unheated, uninsulated garage shop I used a variety of heaters including small electric ceramic radiant, kerosene, and propane. Things got a lot better when I added insulation but the heaters were expensive to run and a spontaneity suppressor since I had to go out and turn the heaters on well in advance of going out to play.

Is there any way you can insulate? I bought a used 10x20 portable insulation for beekeeping stuff and the previous owner insulated the walls and ceiling covered with plywood. My plan (when I get around to it) is to cut a hole in the wall and install a window heat pump for heat and cooling. The climate here in TN is perfect for heat pumps.

Putting a Trane heat pump in my new shop was one of my best moves - comfortable year around and always ready if I have some extra time. I keep the thermostat low in the winter and turn it up a bit if I'm planning to be there for a few hours.

JKJ

I have a Farenheat 5000 that heats my 650 sq ft garage workshop, and would definitely recommend it. But you'll also want to consider giving it a dedicated 220V 30A service connection.

Heating without any type of insulation is going to be costly as a lot of the heat you generate will end up going right out the of walls and ceiling/roof. Have you considered using a small wood or pellet burning stove?

My current garage has a heat pump under one of the windows. My garage is 30x30x10. In winter, I set the heat pump to 68F and it will bring my garage interior up from mid 40's to in about an hour and then it cycles on and off as needed.

Likewise in the summer, which is when I need it most, it will bring the temps down to 73F quickly and make it pleasant to be out in the garage. I also run a dehumidifier in the summer.

I'm just outside Nashville, Tn, so our weatheris probably pretty similar.

When in Dallas, TX, my garage had south facing doors and was like a furnace in the summer, indoor temps around 105F. I insulated my doors and installed a mini split. That made it comfortable in summer, but provided a nice bit of heat when necessary, which wasn't often in TX.

I would install a mini split with heat pump. Quiet enough you can hear yourself think, unlike a window ac unit. More efficient at heating then pure resistance heaters. More efficient then any other type of ac unit you can buy. Only problem will be dust clogging up the small air filters
    Bil lD

I have used a little portable electric oil filled radiator heater in my 16x24 shop since building it 6 + years back. Shop has insulated walls and insulated gambrel roof. I have shower curtains hung around my lathes to keep down flying chips and heater is located in that area. Does maintain about 50F+ which allows shop work. It is about to get put to test again with 15 mph winds and temp going down to lower 20's for a couple of nights. I like the idea of no exposed heat strips around all the wood in shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would install a mini split with heat pump. Quiet enough you can hear yourself think, unlike a window ac unit. More efficient at heating then pure resistance heaters. More efficient then any other type of ac unit you can buy. Only problem will be dust clogging up the small air filters
    Bil lD
    I know a lot of you woodworkers install mini-splits, but every A/C contractor tells me that they're good for about 5 years, and then the models change enough so that it is cheaper to replace than get repair parts, etc. (Yes, I know they are probably blowing some smoke, but a couple of them have experience with the mini-splits.)
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

I too have a 12' x 16' shop. I have this heater and it is more than enough to keep the shop toasty warm. I believe the dial on the back goes from 1 to 9 and I usually keep it right at 1.5. I have since insulated my shop and it runs less but even without any insulation I could easily get the temperature up to the high 80s. I usually maintain it at 68. I would definitely buy it again.

Damon - I am still not dried in with my shop and with all the rain we had over the last several weeks my lumber will need some heat. I have been kicking around different types of electric heat that I can use initially, and then for backup heat. The unit you linked to I think will fit my needs well.

Thanks for posting it.
    Regards,

Kris

I ended up going with the PF from NT.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgJ6LfD_BwE

Wrks really good. Easy to install. Fast Shipping. Does great for me so far
    If you like your freedom, THANK a vet !