Thread: Armoire Plans

Armoire Plans

Hello. I just spent a ton of time searching through posts looking for armoire plans (to be used as an entryway coat closet) and came up with a few dead end links. Does anyone know where I could get decent plans for an armoire? I'm willing to purchase them if necessary. Thanks!

Michael, this isn't really an answer to your question, just to ask why not make your own plans? First, I get design ideas from researching photos and books, then tailor the plans to suit me. I use Google images and Pinterest a lot.

With plans come a cut list and IME I cut all the pieces to a measurement, but it never fits together exactly right. I cut a lot of parts from "reality" rather than a cut list.
    I sketch out several general designs, then draw the piece to scale. This helps me understand the structure & decide on the joinery.

It might be worth a try! Plus, then you can sign the back of your furniture "designed and made by MC". ;-)
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 11-12-2018 at 9:24 AM.

I built Thomas Moser's version which is detailed in his book, which I believe is called "designs for American furniture" or something like that. That said, I do agree that you have the option of designing your own!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm too much of a noob to be able to design something myself. Even if I see something I like I wouldn't know what to do without instruction. I believe once I built one, I could then figure it out on my own. I found a plan on wood archivist I think I'll use as a building block. Make a mock out of cheap plywood, see what's what, then go from there. However, if anyone knows where else I might find a plan I'd love the link to it.

Have you seen any pictures of armoires you like? Using them as a starting point and some basic dimensions for how large you want yours to be, it shouldn't be that difficult to develop a plan. If you want some help, I can do it. Send me a PM.

Michael, I think I understand your challenge. When starting out, it’s difficult to take a design to an actual plan. When unfamiliar with traditional joinery, it’s nearly impossible to know what joints to use, how to size them, how to make them, how they inter-relate to the overall piece and adjoining pieces, etc.

Finding these things on the internet is almost futile. I found books, help from folks here, and a lot of research is needed. The other issue is that many plans/videos, etc., use modern joinery (dominos, biscuits, lots of screws, etc), and you need to think through how that relates to a M&T or some other traditional joinery. I found that researching these things was a fun part of the hobby...it was something to do when the family was sleeping and I couldn’t be down in the basement pounding out mortises!

Not an answer to your question, just a suggestion that you may need to search and purchase a set of plans and convert any modern joinery. In other words, don’t get frustrated by the learning curve. It’s part of the enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    I'm too much of a noob to be able to design something myself. Even if I see something I like I wouldn't know what to do without instruction. I believe once I built one, I could then figure it out on my own. I found a plan on wood archivist I think I'll use as a building block. Make a mock out of cheap plywood, see what's what, then go from there. However, if anyone knows where else I might find a plan I'd love the link to it.
    I'm not talking about designing it yourself, I'm talking about drawing up your own plans to your own dimensions based on a picture.

I have purchased quite a few books about antique furniture on used book sites and used book stores. Some of them I've gotten from watching a video and noticing a book or one they recommend. I've paid as little as $3 for some of them. Search on Amazon for "antique furniture".

Blog Entries
    Here's one that I built. I think I have the cad drawing still.joedresser.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute