Thread: looking for a scraper

looking for a scraper

I have been looking for a 1/4 round nose scrapper,,i know sorbys sells one but everywhere I look it seem like they are out of stock,,,can anyone help me find one,,,it don’t have to be a sorbys

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    I have been looking for a 1/4 round nose scrapper,,i know sorbys sells one but everywhere I look it seem like they are out of stock,,,can anyone help me find one,,,it don’t have to be a sorbys
    Jeff,

Are you looking for 1/4" round nose from flat steel bar or a round bar?

I grind the scrapers I need from whatever HSS stock or tools I have around I don't need anymore. Most of my scrapers are made from Doug Thompson's steel since I like the 10V. If you want a scraper made from a round bar Doug sells 1/4" and larger. I like to make small scrapers from round stock since I can more easily hold them at an angle as needed. These little negative rake scrapers are ground from a 3/8" bar, a Thompson detail gouge, and a 1/2" wide flat bar.

scrapers_small_thompson.jpg

Do you ever get over towards Knoxville? I have a box of used tools given to me or bought cheaply. We could probably make just about any scraper you need. (I have an 80 grit CBN wheel and I'm not afraid to use it. )

JKJ

Jeff,

Some of my scrapers are butt chisels from the Big Box store with the bevel ground off, or to whatever shape I want. The steel actually seems fine but it doesn't matter to me how often I have to sharpen them - 5 seconds on the coarse grindstone and back to scraping. . I use scrapers as finishing tools -- a light touch with a sharp scraper -- so the shorter length is seldom an issue. If you use them to actually turn profiles then the length could be an issue for you. This could be at least a stop-gap measure until what you want becomes available. If you don't like that idea, try Penn State Industries or Highland Woodworking.

Doug

By '1/4 round nose scraper' do you mean one with a 1/4 round nose profile, or a 1/4 inch wide scraper? My personal preference are for the 5/16 by 1 scraper from Thompson which comes with a square nose and you have to grind, or D Way also has a number of scraper blanks. I think Dave will grind a 1/4 round nose profile for you. Dave is selling to Boxmaster tools, and Jimmie will keep the D Way name, and Jimmie has mostly pre ground NRSs.

robo hippy