Thread: Old Delta Rockwell 9 Mire Electric Motor

Question Old Delta Rockwell 9 Mire Electric Motor

I have a shaper table that came with a 9 wire 440v/220v Delta Rockwell motor. I can't seem to get it to work. The motor hums and rotates very slowly when powered. It also appears to be drawing about 27 amps per line.

I have leads 4, 5 and 6 tied together, leads 1 & 7 to one hot line, leads 2 & 6 going to another hot line (out of phase of first hot line) and leads 3 & 9 going to a neutral. I do see 220V across the two hot lines.

I also don't think any of the coils are shorting out to ground. Leads 1 & 4 have 2.4 ohms, leads 2 & 5 have 2.4 ohms, leads 3 & 6 have 2.5 ohms. Lead 7 to leads 8 or 9 have 4.7 ohms.

Any advice if I'm wiring it wrong or the motor is burned out?

Thanks for anyone who's familiar with these motors - Charlie.

Maybe you've got 6 and 8 confused.

3phasemotor - 1.jpg

Maybe I thinking wacky, but are you trying to hook up single phase to a three phase motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Melidosian View Post
    I have leads 4, 5 and 6 tied together, leads 1 & 7 to one hot line, leads 2 &6 going to another hot line (out of phase of first hot line) and leads 3 & 9 going to a neutral. I do see 220V across the two hot lines.
    I think that's a typo and you meant "8", but just to be sure...

I think Bill's got it right, though. This is a 3phase motor - are you hooking it to 3 phase?

If you, in fact, have 3 phase supply, the only way you'd be measuring 220V phase-to-phase is if you have a high-leg delta. If that's the case, you need to be hooking the motor to the 3 phase legs, NOT the neutral.

Thank you gentlemen for your responses. I do believe you are correct. This is a three phase motor that will not "easily" (aka cheaply) run in my house's single phase world. I was blinded to the fact that the motor would run on 220 that I thought I could get it to work on my home's 220. Back to the drawing board of getting a single phase motor to run this shaper, then to figure out a good home for this three phase motor. Thank you again for your prompt and knowledgable responses.

Charlie

You can get a phase converter or a VFD.