Thread: Martin T60C dimensions

Martin T60C dimensions

Looking for any Martin T60 owners out there. I'm in the process of evaluating the Martin and I think I'm getting stuck on the dimensions but wanted to verify with someone who may know for sure.

I have a 56" double door opening into my walkout basement. Most of the saws I'm looking at can be broken down to about a 48" width or so at its narrowest point, which is the width of the cast iron table top and the slider.

In looking at the documentation on the Martin T60C and in talking to the rep, it looks like that width is 57" for the Martin, which would preclude me from getting it into my shop. I wanted to check here to see if that made sense or if a T60 owner can help me verify the smallest dimension. I love the saw and would hate to rule it out.

I've attached an image of my current Minimax to show the dimension I'm describing.As you can see in the pic, my Minimax is only 37" wide. I understand the Martin would be wider, I was just hoping not 20" wider.

Saw Width.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Turn it on its side, and you can probably get it through a 36-38” opening, then lay it back down.

mike - i have a T60A, which i think is the same frame and build. i can grab some measurements for you, but for what it's worth, that sucker came nearly fully assembled. i put the two stainless outfeed tables on, and the guard, and that's about it. i think you'll have a really hard time getting that in a 56" door... tomorrow morning i'll grab a couple of dimensions, considering the 56" opening. feel free to reach out via PM if you have any other questions.

-- dz

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Koons View Post
    Looking for any Martin T60 owners out there. I'm in the process of evaluating the Martin and I think I'm getting stuck on the dimensions but wanted to verify with someone who may know for sure.

I have a 56" double door opening into my walkout basement. Most of the saws I'm looking at can be broken down to about a 48" width or so at its narrowest point, which is the width of the cast iron table top and the slider.

In looking at the documentation on the Martin T60C and in talking to the rep, it looks like that width is 57" for the Martin, which would preclude me from getting it into my shop. I wanted to check here to see if that made sense or if a T60 owner can help me verify the smallest dimension. I love the saw and would hate to rule it out.

I've attached an image of my current Minimax to show the dimension I'm describing.As you can see in the pic, my Minimax is only 37" wide. I understand the Martin would be wider, I was just hoping not 20" wider.

Saw Width.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Thanks David. Greatly appreciated.

I’ll check mine for you in a sec. Just got home.
    I am pretty sure there are width options.

I have that exact model.

The Red Line as described is exactly 52", the base flares out couple of inches and you have to account for that.

BTW, this would mean you have to dismantle the Rip Fence Guide and unbolt the Cross Cut Fence support bracket!!!

The cross cut fence bracket does not appear to be that difficult.

The Rip Fence Guide is another matter, this is no small feat, I have had mine replaced twice and it takes some time to get the belt and entire system hooked up properly. Not for the feint of heart, Al from Martin replaced mine when it was damaged from shipping, he did a great job but took several hours.

With the rip fence guide, the saw will need 80".
    Last edited by Anthony Spotorno; 11-11-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Anthony brings up a good point...having to remove the rip fence guide can setup a major challenge on many of these machines. I made the mistake of inadvertently loosening mine on my MiniMax (it really was an honest mistake...I wasn't thinking) and to this day I have not got it back to "perfect" like it was from the factory.

That said...perhaps you have the perfect opportunity to install a wider, double door. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Anthony. Does your rip fence have the hand wheel or is it motorized?

Here are Martin’s dimensions from the T60C manual.
    The narrower option is 1537mm or 60.5”.

I would modify the shop opening before I messed with the saw. I would definitely not try to tip it on its side.
    D151FF0D-61B3-43C3-ABB3-8BFAA52A9890.jpg92A5F2BC-DC9E-42CD-BEF8-63C5F8A3EDBD.jpg

Thank you very much John. This is extremely helpful. Although my math works out differently but it is based on some assumptions...

It's 4.4" (112mm) for the bump out and the cross-cut table arm, 16.3" (413mm) for the width of the sliding table and 33.5" (850mm) for the width of the cast iron table. That would be 54.2". My assumptions are that I can remove the cross-cut table arm, saving 2". I can remove the access door to save another 2" (not factored into my 54.2") and that with the 53" rip capacity would consist of an 850mm cast iron table above the saw housing and a removable extension wing. Also, I'd be removing the rip fence guide as well.

Of course, I'm verifying all of these numbers with the rep. But if my math is right, I should have 4" to spare in my 56" doorway and be able to fit the Martin in.

Lastly, I'm in the process of taking a tape measure to see on in person if I can work it out.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Never thought this would be so complicated.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Koons View Post
    Thanks Anthony. Does your rip fence have the hand wheel or is it motorized?
    I have the hand wheel, but it does not extend past the bump out of the cabinet (The handle folds into the wheel).

I've added some pictures of the hand wheel.

I would not as some others state tip it on it's side. It is very heavy!

20181114_233856.jpg20181114_233725.jpg

HTH

I just wanted to give everyone an update in case it would help others in the future.

It was relatively easy to break down the saw. The process involved removing the overhead arm holding the display/controls and the dust hood, removing the rip fence guide connected to the hand wheel and a few other easily removed pieces. You can see pics of the saw in it's broken down state below.

After removing everything removable, the saw was 55" wide. This did fit through my 56" door and I had room to spare because I could have removed the swinging arm that attaches to the outrigger table. But that would have been the most complicated and I would only have done it as a last resort. Didn't need to.

With three people, we were able to use plywood leapfrog method to get the saw from the garage to the walk out basement in the back. We don't have too steep of a drop at any one place, so this worked out better. I purposely did not use a skid steer because it would actually have been hard to get the forks around the where the slider protrudes. Took us about 30 mins to move the saw down manually.

It's now in the basement and ready to be reassembled. I will keep the group posted on my progress and get pictures of the assembly process for reference. I also received my Phase Perfect for 3 phase power and will document that installation as well.

Again, thanks to everyone here for your help and guidance through the process. As always, this group is valued and appreciated.

Martin Saw Disassembled 3.jpgMarting Saw Disassembled 2.jpg

That's a fine machine and I'm very glad to see it's finally in your shop!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congratulations!
    You’ll love that saw. Make a Fritz & Franz jig to realize it’s full potential.

Gosh darn and it’s brand new to boot!

Pretty exciting I’m sure...