Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just carve my business name on my small products.

Thanks Jim. CNC is certainly eye opening. Yea, a nice size work table may be in my future. I am not looking to grow my market. It is a small niche. But adding the cool factor would be great. I am still confused about the semantics. Some of the pictures look like cnc carvings in some areas and laser engraving in others. Does laser engraving "cut" several mm into the wood? I thought laser engraving was basically burning the surface of the wood.

Thanks
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Stump View Post
    That is great. Thank you so much for replying David. My stuff is at www.heritagemusicproducts.com I am in the very early stages of exploring the possibilities of cnc. I am not even sure is my stuff would look good by carving or laser engraving. Kind of like discovering my navel for the first time. I am not a Luddite since I wrote VBA and php code years ago but the "golden years" have tested both my patience and ability or desire to focus and learn new things. I am thoroughly enjoying this forum. Thanks to all.
    Gordon I will be 76 next summer, God willing. I just got done soldering 3 wires in a connector that would have taken 5 minutes 30 years ago, but a bit longer today. But I got it done. I admit to have some CNC and design experience. but I do not have the creativity or talent that you and David have. If you want to learn CNC and have the time, go for it.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Gordon, Laser Engraving can and does cut into the wood. In fact you can cut out parts with one, too...all of the appliqués I've used with my tack trunk commissions were cut via laser by Mike Null. The photo I posted above of the laser engraved business card has substantial relief to it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Gordon I will be 76 next summer, God willing. I just got done soldering 3 wires in a connector that would have taken 5 minutes 30 years ago, but a bit longer today. But I got it done. I admit to have some CNC and design experience. but I do not have the creativity or talent that you and David have. If you want to learn CNC and have the time, go for it.
    Bill,
    My friend Oscar LaGasse was the tuba player with the Detroit Symphony. He was also a professional woodworker who sold his furniture to J.L. Hudsons in Detroit in the 60's. He was 85 when we both taught at Wayne State University. During final music juries we would talk router bits rather then music. He was an inspiration and the reason I rejuvenated my woodworking business after a 12 year day job. At 72, I hope to keep woodworking like my friend Oscar until they take the power tools away! So I will learn CNC, (but with user friendly design software).

Thanks, Gordon

Update: I just finished assembling a 500 mm xcarve. I used the building a private family barn with extra stalls concept. Horse people know if you build extra stalls your "friends" and relatives will fill them up with their horses. Then hang out at dinner time! I will post some pics later. Regardless, family has asked for plaques for gifts. Physics says smaller with same extrusions as bigger will be less prone to deflection. I really like this little one!

Thanks for all the help.

Gordonmcm.jpg
    Last edited by Gordon Stump; 12-08-2018 at 8:25 PM.