Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just carve my business name on my small products.

Just carve my business name on my small products.

I make small stuff out of walnut for musicians. I sell on amazon and my business gives the impression of looking rather big time but is just an old guy in his basement. The thing that is missing is a nice looking business name on the products plus "Made in the U.S.A." I currently use gold foil sticklers on the back. Having a cool carving of my business name would be great. Spending thousands not so much. Is there something out there that would do the job? Under $500? Am I asking one of those stupid annoying questions you get all the time?

Thanks,

Gordon
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Can you send a link to your items, Gordon (or photos)? A custom branding iron comes to mind. I keep saying I'll make one for our Etsy shop but making stuff for ourselves is down the list a ways...

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Gordon, depending on design complexity you could have quite a few custom medallions made for $500. If you’re looking to get into CNC, you’ll be hard pressed to find anything in that price range.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree with Bruce that nice medallions that are either CNC V-carved/engraved or laser engraved are a very nice and professional way to "brand" your work...many steps above a typical branding iron and more consistent. They are not the best for really small/tiny stuff, but if you can fit, say...something 1" round or so, they will work nice. Laser engraving will be best if you want a lot of information on them because that method allows for a lot of detail in a very small space. CNC V-carved/engraved works well for a logo. For my tack trunks, I'm now CNC V-carving directly on the inside of the back panel using a mask and then spray painting the lettering/logo, removing the mask and lightly sanding the surface. I doubt I'l ever pull out the electric branding iron again for that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all for your honest answers. I kinda figured this was not in the cards. I like the idea of a branding iron.
    Last edited by Gordon Stump; 11-11-2018 at 7:53 PM.

I have used my laser and cut out pieces for others to mark their woodworking projects. These were some coasters I designed and cut out of 1/4" Cherry, probably larger than you want. Others I have done are say 1 1/4" diameter so the person could just use a forstner bit and make a pocket to glue the medallion in.

IMG_1620.jpg
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

What Brian just posted is exactly what I was speaking of...and those are great!
    --

There are some low cost non-Chinese DIY routers for sale. I can't think of the name of the one somebody posted about on here a while ago. A hobby level great little machine that would allow him to not only make what is shown above but might allow him to be a little more productive and creative. Once in a while a used one comes up for sale, the owner is moving up to a larger scale one.

I sold my Chinese one at nearly a $1,000 under my cost and it had ball screws and a water cooled spindle with VFD. It worked great, just needed bigger.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I figured that laser engraving would not show up much on walnut with dark danish oil finish and top-coat. That is why I asked about cnc carving. But the idea of laser engraved medallions on say a inserted birch disc would look pretty good, especially with an amber top coat. Then a smaller table machine limited to engraving could work and be in budget. My plan is to win the lotto and stay in the woodworking business until the money runs out!

Oh, I don't know that the walnut would be an issue...here's a very small "business card" that was cut on a laser. The Russian coin is just slightly smaller than a quarter. Remember, walnut gets lighter over time, too.

IMG_2869.jpg
    --

Those laser cut medallions look really nice. CNC carved brass medallions would also look very impressive. They would likely cost a bit more than laser cut ones. I like the idea of making the same size as a standard forstner bit so they can be inlaid.
    Steve

You would be surprised how well black walnut laser engraves. Obviously the contrast ratio is lower but black walnut laser engraves well and looks very professional. Years ago I laser engraved several Santa Claus plaques on very dark walnut and was impressed with the quality.

I also laser engrave the head of walnut bolts that I make periodically from lumber I obtained from a walnut tree from Colonial Williamsburg. The tree was planted about 1776 next to the Capital Building based on counting the rings. I was able to obtain the lumber from Richardson's Mill in Williamsburg from one of the four brothers who owned the sawmill.

Over the years I have also made wooden medallions for lots of people, most were either 3/4" or 1" medallions that were custom laser engraved. I started making these for Ken Salisbury who was our very first Moderator here. Today we have a group of Engravers who are able to laser engrave metal medallions and lots of Members who offer wooden ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-13-2018 at 9:19 AM.

There's a laser shop I do work for in town and they engrave Walnut dozens, and sometimes hundreds of times each day. They have 3 lasers and engrave trophies and plaques at an amazing rate. Laser engraving shows up quite well on Walnut.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    There's a laser shop I do work for in town and they engrave Walnut dozens, and sometimes hundreds of times each day. They have 3 lasers and engrave trophies and plaques at an amazing rate. Laser engraving shows up quite well on Walnut.

David
    That is great. Thank you so much for replying David. I am in the very early stages of exploring the possibilities of cnc. I am not even sure is my stuff would look good by carving or laser engraving. Kind of like discovering my navel for the first time. I am not a Luddite since I wrote VBA and php code years ago but the "golden years" have tested both my patience and ability or desire to focus and learn new things. I am thoroughly enjoying this forum. Thanks to all.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-09-2018 at 2:55 PM.

Gordon, the stuff pictured on the front page of your site would be a piece of cake on CNC and would allow you to kick up volume easily over non-CNC methods if your marketing is successful. There would be complete consistency with every piece you produced, too. Personalization can be a big profit item so adding that to the mix could kick things up a few notches.
    --