Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Products that should work, but don't.

Frank, I bet the ones that sneak in that don't mate the bit well were not cut to actual Robertson specifications relative to the taper of the square pocket.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had an occasional random Torx deck screw the bits wouldn't fit. In those cases it seemed to be from a manufacturing error when the coating was too thick or a tiny glob obstructed the socket. Never a problem with a whole batch though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Frank, I bet the ones that sneak in that don't mate the bit well were not cut to actual Robertson specifications relative to the taper of the square pocket.
    That could be. I know there's a square drive that isn't Robertson & the bits for one don't properly fit the other.

Anything advertised on TV, with an extra free one included for just the extra shipping and handling charges, most likely doesn't work.

Barry, We gave up spraying our apple trees. Even with the best spray I could find, we had lots of bug damage. We put sandwich bags on the apples instead. If you do an internet search, you can find the details.

Most people's reaction is, "That sounds like too much work." I tell them, don't be so lazy. It's worth it to have a bumper crop of perfect apples.

Most often when I've been unhappy with square drive scenes, it's been my bit that needed replacing
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Are you talking about screws that take a "square drive" bit?

Tools that don't work (for me)
    1. Electric staplers and brad drivers
    2. Cordless carpet cutting gizmos
    3. Electric sheet metal nibblers - find for perfecly flat sheets, no good for negoiating dimples (Why don't they make the jaws open wider?)
    4. Grout removing blades on oscillating mult-toods - ok for old crumbly grout,, but not useful on the hard stuff
    5. The Rotozip
    6. The garden trimer tool that looks like a big pair of scissors except the blades work horizontally as you squeeze the handles vertically.
    What's wrong with the Rotozip? I watched the drywallers on our new home use one for virtually every opening. Outlets, switches, door and window openings. Fast and the openings were always right where they needed to be. No oops in measuring because the opening was exactly where it actually was. My first time for seeing one in action. I think they are great in that application.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    What's wrong with the Rotozip? I watched the drywallers on our new home use one for virtually every opening. Outlets, switches, door and window openings. Fast and the openings were always right where they needed to be. No oops in measuring because the opening was exactly where it actually was. My first time for seeing one in action. I think they are great in that application.
    I have a Rotozip which was an impulse buy when I had a drywall project to do. The thing kind of a one trick pony & is not build all that well. A small trim router will do all the rotozip will and much more, for about the same money.

I tried using a rotozip for a couple of things other than drywall, and decided a jigsaw was easier. Too hard to keep it going in a straight line without setting up guides. Gave it away.
    I do like my chisel plane, however. It works better for cleaning up glue and small imperfections than a regular chisel. But not much use for actual planing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I tried using a rotozip for a couple of things other than drywall, and decided a jigsaw was easier. ...
    I finally found a good use for a Rotogrip - shaping an open knot hole in knotty pine paneling at a friend's house to fit a knot I cut from a piece of scrap.

Something that should work but doesn't?

Any Microsoft Windows other than XP...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Something that should work but doesn't?

Any Microsoft Windows other than XP...
    AMEN! Firefox has ended support for XP. Last download of Firefox for XP is a total disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I agree with Prashun - bull nose planes. I have the little bitty Millers Falls and no matter what I do, it just don't work. I even looked up old articles on how to use 'em - no joy.

And don't even get me started on CHISEL PLANES - aarrrrgh!
    In the plane arena, it is the scraper plan for me. I so desperately want them to work but they are just way too fiddly for me. I tried both the LV and LN since they each take a different approach and I just couldn't make them work. Oddly enough I have no issues with my LV chisel plane (forget what they call it) but I find it is easier to use a paring chisel most of the time.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I use "power pro" brand screws and love them. They do come with a bit and you don't have to push with all your might to keep the bit engaged. You can even drive on a little bit of an angle, plus no predrilling or countersinking needed.
    I've used 2 wheel wheelbarrows before and the do take some getting used to. It's like not having power steering in the car, but they are so less prone to tipping over.
    I bought my electric metal shears online from a pawnshop and have used them for cutting up washers and dryers for the sheet metal panels. In about a half hr, I'll have the thing in pieces, some to save and the rest for the scrap yard. They do take some muscle to get them over the bigger ridges, but I love that they don't distort the metal.
    I haven't tried rotozip or any of the other above mentioned items.

Complete and utter garbage.