Thread: vintage block planes

vintage block planes

I have been trying to buy extra planes for use off of ebay and other sources. I have modern planes like lee valley and I am interested in investing in older stanley bench planes as a kind of vintage match,users of course. Most bench planes I'm familiar with but the block planes not so much. I have the lee valley low angle block plane with an extra higher angle blade so I would like to have an old stanley to compliment it.. Reading blood and gore and other sources there are so many models I'm having difficulty knowing which are good and which are a waste of time.
    I was hoping for feed back from you good folks here.
    thanks, Tim

Start with a Stanley 60 or 60-1/2 - the only difference is in the finish, painted vs. nickel plated - or the Millers Falls equivalent (No. 46). I've got a Sweetheart era 60 with more bedding for the iron than you can find on newer block planes; so, if you're not in a hurry, look for sweetheart era or earlier, and, if you're buying online, try to get a picture of the bedding area. And look for an example with no chipping at the front of the bed - the metal thins out pretty dramatically there, and chipping's not uncommon.

That may be all you need, but if you find the low angle on the 60 is generating tearout when you work long grain, watch for a Stanley 9-1/2 (or M-F 16) or Stanley 18, which is the same design but with a knuckle joint lever cap If you like longer block planes, the Stanley 15 or 17 is the same plane as the 9-1/2 but longer. Again, look for examples with more bedding, sweetheart era for instance.

Others may differ; these are my preferences.

I have a low angle #65 and a standard angle #18, both in the knuckle joint cap format. Both were reasonable priced antique mall finds. They are great compliments to my LN #60 1/2 and #102.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Take your pick..
    IMG_6655 (640x480).jpg

Blog Entries
    I have a collection about 2/3 the size of yours. I have a 5 1/2 Bailey as well as 604, 605, and 607 Bedrocks.

You should look at the Lee Valley apron plane.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=46791

Those were just the "User" block planes....have a tub upstairs with a dozen more block planes sitting in it....

Have a Stanley # 60-1/2...A Millers Falls # 1455, and a Shelton # 118 all steel low angle planes.....plus a few 9-1/2, and a 9-1/4. Then those two #110 planes on the bottom shelf of the til....there MIGHT be a #220 or two lurking around, as well...

Stanley 9 1/2 is my preferred style, I never had much success with the low angle version (60 1/2), probably because I don't tend to use them on endgrain, and standard angle works better with the grain. Millers Falls and Sargent also made similar versions which I like equally well. Union and Ohio are two other brands that come up occasionally. A great way to get Millers Falls and Sargents for cheap is to find them in Craftsman guise from about 1950 and earlier. They often can be found in good condition for not much $, as the "Craftsman" name doesn't appeal to the collectors or tool snobs.

As long as the design is good and the plane is in good condition, brand isn't important. One of my favorite block planes has no identifying marks on it at all; my guess is it might be a Millers Falls based on the lever cap pattern but who knows.

Avoid ones that are full of rust or need a lot of work. There are so many good vintage block planes out there, that it isn't worth putting a lot of work into a rough one.

Like Rob Luter, I like the knuckle joint planes. I have several Stanley #65 with the knuckle joint cap and one #18 with the same cap. They just fit my hand the best. I have a number of other block planes, both new and old but the 65 is the one I use the most. I put modern blades in all of them, including one or more with the LV PM-V11 blades.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Almost any vintage block plane with an adjustable mouth will be a good user. I'm not so concerned about the adjustable mouth, but it seems if they went to the trouble to make a plane with an adjustable mouth, they put some quality into the rest of the plane. That goes for all major manufacturers. I also believe the #220 (Sargent's #207 equivalent) and similar planes are one if the most underrated planes ever made. They were made by the millions, and are very inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bieker View Post
    I have been trying to buy extra planes for use off of ebay and other sources. I have modern planes like lee valley and I am interested in investing in older stanley bench planes as a kind of vintage match,users of course. Most bench planes I'm familiar with but the block planes not so much. I have the lee valley low angle block plane with an extra higher angle blade so I would like to have an old stanley to compliment it.. Reading blood and gore and other sources there are so many models I'm having difficulty knowing which are good and which are a waste of time.
    I was hoping for feed back from you good folks here.
    thanks, Tim
    Tim, the LV LA block plane is one of the wider block planes - wider than the LN/Stanley 60 1/2 or Veritas DX/NX60. It is complimented by the knuckle joint Stanley planes, the #65 and #18, both of which are the same width.

I have had both these planes, and they lay unused on my shelf for some years, and so I recently sold them. I do not like these wide block planes (including the LV LA block plane) even though I have wide hands. Of the vintage planes, give me a Stanley 60 1/2 any day. Personally, I find more use for any of the LN or Veritas block planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Tim, the LV LA block plane is one of the wider block planes - wider than the LN/Stanley 60 1/2 or Veritas DX/NX60. It is complimented by the knuckle joint Stanley planes, the #65 and #18, both of which are the same width.

I have had both these planes, and they lay unused on my shelf for some years, and so I recently sold them. I do not like these wide block planes (including the LV LA block plane) even though I have wide hands. Of the vintage planes, give me a Stanley 60 1/2 any day. Personally, I find more use for any of the LN or Veritas block planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I can see your point about the width. I find I don’t use my #65 and #18 for typical block plane stuff. I use them more like tiny smoothers. Who really needs a #1 anyway?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Who really needs a #1 anyway?
    The #1 does come in handy for many things. It is like a narrow standard angle block plane. With a #1, my question is who needs anything other than a low angle block plane?

There are also some non-woodworking uses where a #1 might be the best plane for the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well...this little plane is being used, at the moment...
    IMG_6705 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley No. 60-1/2, with the original blade. Working on some White Oak glue joints.